On the hunt for a new amp today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the hunt for a new amp today.

Ok, I've had it! I am sick of trying to get a decent tone from the cheaper amps that I have on hand. They are decent amps, but I can't get anything I'm REALLY happy with. So I'm out shopping for a new amp today. My starting point is 2x12 combo and tube. I've been looking around for several weeks now and, so far, the frontrunner is the Blackstar Stage HT-60, mainly for it's diversity (right word?) and price point. I'm going to head to the store today to give it one final workout before I make my final decision, but I'm hoping to come home with SOMETHING today.
    Whatever I come home with, I'll post a quick review.
    Prosecutors will be violated...

cool! good luck.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Those are EL34, right? People seem to be pretty happy with them and say good things about the clean channel too. How is the verb on it?
      Jackson KV2
      Jackson KE1T
      Jackson KE1F
      Jackson SL1

Comment

Good luck! I can't wait to get another amp. thinking of getting a Mark V one of these days.

Comment

I've been thinking about picking up a Mark V too. I would like something different to complement my Engls.

Comment

Splawn Street Rod
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Okay I am conflicted now. Just checked out a carvin legacy. NICE! But I don't need a half stack.

Comment

Hey Robert, I have heard Carvin is making a smaller version of the V3 in a smaller versoin head and a combo as well , might want to give them a look see as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gtrlvr View Post
                  Hey Robert, I have heard Carvin is making a smaller version of the V3 in a smaller versoin head and a combo as well , might want to give them a look see as well.
                  Cool. I'll have to check it out later though. I just got the blackstar.

Comment

Congrats on the Blackstar! I got the HT-20 a couple of weeks ago and am really happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by mastrxplodr View Post
                      Congrats on the Blackstar! I got the HT-20 a couple of weeks ago and am really happy with it.
                      Thanks, I'm loving it so far. The OD channels are pretty noisey. Not sure this is normal, but it freakin rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                        I've been thinking about picking up a Mark V too. I would like something different to complement my Engls.
                        Do it.

On a related note, I fell in love with the Orange Rockerverb about two months ago. Pricey, but they sound phenomenal.
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

Ok, now that I've had this amp for a couple of days, I wanted to give a short laymans review as promised. I really don't know what else to say other than OH MY F*&kING GOD!!!!
                          As this is my first REAL tube amp, I'm aware there is other amps out there that are better, but this amp COMPLETELY SMOKES EVERYTHING I've ever played though before. The tones I've managed to get out of this thing pretty much out of the box has left me nothing short of giddy.

If I had any complaints about this amp, it would be that the OD2 channel is pretty noisy, but from what I understand from some people on the Blackstar forum, a tube swap should take care of at least alot of that. I'm going to deal with it for now and give the amp a chance to get broke in real good before I try it though.

I took the amp out to a gig last night. I know, it might have been a little too soon but it performed flawlessly. The guys in the band and other people in the crowd that knew me were really impressed.

Anyway, that's my short review FWIW.

Comment

nice dude, i havent played through one, but some of the clips ive heard just rock. on a side note if you can shell out 2k+, the markV is probably one of the most amazing amps ive ever played though, its impossible to get a bad tone out of it.

Comment

Congrats on the new amp! Nothing like a good tube amp.

Sidebar: Regarding the Mark V, they're like $4000 over here, so I'm thinking that I'll either buy a used one or buy one when I'm in the states anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X