Splawn...oh yeah!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splawn...oh yeah!!

Scored a minty Splawn over at Rig Talk. Can't say I've ever been so excited about an amp! Mad Marshall Mod-ness! Sounds like the Marshall to end all Marshalls...well...unless we start talking Friedman & Cameron...

I scored a 3-pre Quick Rod, gold chassis, w/black Plexi-style cab. I was looking pretty hard at getting a Competition, but then this one came up, and had a great price, so I doubled the channels and the power.

Can't wait for it to come in! AND...I have a ton of gear to move in the meantime. Craigslist will be busy -- I can hardly wait for the low-balling and scamming to begin.

Let's hear you Splawn stories and post come pics!

Grats! I want to tryt a Splawn myself some day. I think I'd bond with their tone pretty fast.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Splawns rule. My QR is awesome.
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

you've been on FIRE lately, Chris. Think you'll be able to get a shot with all your other heads before you start letting them go?
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          you've been on FIRE lately, Chris. Think you'll be able to get a shot with all your other heads before you start letting them go?
          Well...you know...

GAS is a terrible thing. Believe me!! But the Splawn was an opportunity that doesn't always come along. I had to take a shot with it. Marshall tones are really where it's at for me, but I can't stand myself through a Marshall - except the JVM, but mine shit the bed. Every Marshall clone/knock-off I've tried recently oozes the quality that Marshall just can't.

Anyway, the Jet City 100 will be a casualty for sure, as will the Spider Valve Mk 2. The Chupacabra and the Friedman-modded JCA20 will be sticking around.

I need to put the "fire" out though...it's burning holes in my wallet!!

Comment

Ive got a comp that i adore, and a Quick Rod on order with a cab... I love em.
            "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Had a QR for a short period and LOVED it...finally found the old Marshally tone I had been searching for pretty much forever. I unfortunately had to let it go...but I will own one again some day, that's for damn sure. I just couldn't keep more than one amp due to finances and the QR just wasn't the right fit for the style of music I'm playing these days. Have fun with it!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                Scored a minty Splawn over at Rig Talk. Can't say I've ever been so excited about an amp! Mad Marshall Mod-ness! Sounds like the Marshall to end all Marshalls...well...unless we start talking Friedman & Cameron...

I scored a 3-pre Quick Rod, gold chassis, w/black Plexi-style cab. I was looking pretty hard at getting a Competition, but then this one came up, and had a great price, so I doubled the channels and the power.

Can't wait for it to come in! AND...I have a ton of gear to move in the meantime. Craigslist will be busy -- I can hardly wait for the low-balling and scamming to begin.

Let's hear you Splawn stories and post come pics!
                When will the horror end. So many NAD posts by you lately, I want more amps too! Gas buliding, brain frying trying to think of how the acquisition could occur, sleep being lost, the sale of current gear may be eminent. Its all coming apart, god help us all. GAS overload, GAS overload! Ahhhh...........
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Hey Chris, what don't you like about the Spider Valve?
                  I am picking up one soon for my local side project band I joined.

Comment

I don't blame you for keeping the Cearitone. I want one of those bad.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      Hey Chris, what don't you like about the Spider Valve?
                      I am picking up one soon for my local side project band I joined.
                      John, there is NOTHING to not like about the Spider Valve 2. Basically, it would be the easiest amp of mine to replace if I ever wanted to. In fact, I may keep it since the markett on these is pretty soft. All the things that people griped about with the old ones - mainly the inflexibility of the effects, and lack of diversity of amp models has been addressed and improved IMMENSELY. The only minor gripe I have is the lack of a global level control - it still has a tendacy to have HUGE volume jumps from channel to channel. I usually set the channel volume on my presets about 12:00 to control the overall volume, since it is LOUD AS F**K. You go from one of your own channels to a factory one, and it has a potential to make your ears bleed.

Beyond that, it's really an amazing amp, and Line 6 really got this one right.

We'll see what the weekend brings in terms of "gear migration".

With that said, I really like the Jet City too. I'm really torn about dumping stuff, but I need a cash infusion.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        I don't blame you for keeping the Cearitone. I want one of those bad.
                        If you use effects, you WILL need a loop buffer until Nik releases one with the upgrade. I got the Klein-Ulator. It's great, but a bit noisy. I wonder if I could've got a line boost like the MXR/CAE boost and used that?

That said, I played it for about 2 hours last night, and can't find a weakness. All things considered, I'd like to hear the 100 watter. I'm finding that 100 watt amps just sound better to me in terms of the complexity of the tones, and you don't really seem to need any reason to dime the EQ in any band frequency - there's enough there to get you by. Great amp. Easily the best tube amp I've owned to date.

Comment

Originally posted by toddstaples View Post
                          Ive got a comp that i adore, and a Quick Rod on order with a cab... I love em.
                          Comp. owner here. Best amp I own, hands down, though not nec. the most versatile, as it's so
                          freakin' loud. Still, it's built like a tank, and the attention to detail is second to none. Esp. cool
                          on the Comp. is the 3 Gear function, each with 2 ODs AND a boost. Do any of you Splawn guys
                          use a volume pedal in the loop to tame the DBs?

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
                            Comp. owner here. Best amp I own, hands down, though not nec. the most versatile, as it's so
                            freakin' loud. Still, it's built like a tank, and the attention to detail is second to none. Esp. cool
                            on the Comp. is the 3 Gear function, each with 2 ODs AND a boost. Do any of you Splawn guys
                            use a volume pedal in the loop to tame the DBs?
                            Interesting...i'd like to hear about the loop volume too. The QR I have coming in hass the old loop without the volume.

Comment

I have an older QR without the gears and has the shared EQ. Great hot rodded Marshall tone. I pair it with a Splawn 4x12 wth Red Coats and Guv;nors in an X pattern

amps4s.JPG
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X