Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to update my gear. Need your help!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to update my gear. Need your help!!!!!

I think it’s time to update my gear, I’ve been very loyal to it, but as time goes by there has to be something better out there that would easily outrun my old multi effects.

The main attribute of my rack is that I use it mostly for direct recording, I’m not currently using any kind of amp. Not that it is the best way to record but it is the best way save space and lets me record at night.

I currently own a Digitech VGS 2120 and a brand new (never used) Digitech RP20 as a back up. I play mostly metal, trash and power. Even though my patches tend to have few effects on them, I try to experiment a lot. I’ve always had Digitech multi effects, never had the chance to own any other brand. Maybe I just feel comfortable with their programming logics, and at least my gear sounds and works the way I expect it to do. But time has come to give new gear a chance.

I now all the new multi effects out there have followed the “amp simulation” trend, apart from being “all digital” units. That does not bother me at all. And being that I prefer a rack unit, I don’t mind the floor units.

Now, going straight to the multi effects models. I have tried to find reviews and manuals of the following units:

Line 6 HD 500, look really nice, and the specs are right
    Boss GT Pro, I don’t know if the model is kind of old, but the specs are right too.
    Boss GT 10, same as the HD500, but read somewhere that the amp modeling is not that good (since it has no preamp, can’t imagine what it’s like)
    Digidesgin Eleven Rack, a bit over priced IMO, but nice otherwise.

I just want to hear your opinions about these units. Is it worth the update from my existing gear?? Will the Boss GT Pro be really better than my 10 years old Digi 2120??

Thanks for your time.

Ever thought about just getting a stand alone preamp like an RM4 and keeping your Digitech for effects?
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Digi 11 rack is the best of those four for direct recording. Comes bundled with pro-tools LE as well so factor that into the cost.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

What, no love for the vaunted Axe-FX?

LOL. Me neither.

Comment

Axefx is a good solution but you need an interface and software on top of it. I think if you tack the price of protools le on to the POD HD 500 you'd be in the same ballpark or a little more expensive than the 11 rack.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Of course the Axe FX crossed my mind, it would be my first choice, but it’s
            not on the same price range. I’d kill to have one of those. But I guess it’s a
            little out of my league right now as I just bought a new KE2.

I already have an interface (M Audio Fast Track Pro) and software (CakewalkSonar X1 Producer) so that’s not a problem. The interface could be better butit’s small enough and saves a lot of space when I move around.

So it all comes down to the multi effect unit.

What I’ve been trying to do lately is playing around with the editor
            software (pc interface) of each unit in order to test the flexibility and
            general programming and options, but of course I can’t know for a fact how that
            would translate in the real use.

Would the Line 6 HD 500 be in the same league (sound quality speaking) as
            the Digi 11??

Is there any other brand or model that would be worth the try??

Thanks for your time guys.

Comment

Working...
            X