Digitech Opinions Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitech Opinions Needed

I have a chance to grab a Digitech GSP 2101 Artist pre amp mint condition with the floor pedal, and I have been looking a GSP1101.

What are your opinions/experiences?
    Last edited by The Poolman; 05-14-2011, 04:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
    We will know for the first time...
    If we are evil or divine...
    We are the last in line...RJD RIP

I owned a 2101A and still have an 1101.

The 2101, so I've heard, was designed by the guy who designed the ADA MP-1. Having compared them both in the same rack, it's highly plausible.

The 2101 offers extensive customization nearly similar to that propossed by the Axe-FX, with the notable exception of not being able to place anything anywhere (fx before the preamp, etc).
    With the 2101, as with all Digitech multi-function gear, you get effects after the preamp (Distortion, EQ), but the 2101 allows you to add more EQs after that for truly astounding tone-shaping (I had I think 7 EQs of various types doing all kinds of crazy things in one patch).

However, adding more of a given effect determines what else you can put in the chain. More-intense effects eat up more memory and limit what you can add. While you can easily build the typical preamp-chorus-delay-reverb chain, you can't do preamp-chorusleft-flangeright-delay-reverb and the like.

You can't really do that with the 1101 either.

The 1101 is more of a modeler, which is basically EQ trickery more than anything "magical". It also includes models of various Digitech pedals (including the Whammy), as well as other non-Digitech models (BOSS SD1, TubeScreamer, etc) and various famous cabinets (Twin, Bluesbreaker, Mesa, Marshall) which you can "load" with various speakers.

I've used an ADA MP-1 preamp for years with a Digitech TSR12 effects unit, and have recently gotten more into using the 1101. The presets didn't exactly doodle my noodle, but once I started tweaking them (easier to do than on the older units), I've dialed up a few that I really like.

The 1101 also has considerably more effects than the 2101, and works great with the ART X-15 Ultrafoot controller (particularly the Wahs and Whammy since it's got 2 pedals). Haven't tried the Control One pedal.

The 2101 also offers dual 12ax7s, whereas the 1101 is all digital, if that matters to you.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have been using one for years they kick ass.
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

How is the speaker simulation in both 2101 and 1101 Newc?

(I was told the 2101 was basically the Lexicon MPX G2 -II- after Digitech bought the company)
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Since all I've got is a Carvin 2x12 cabinet to compare it to, and haven't really done any recordings with it in years, I couldn't say how well the "2x12 open back" sims of the 1101 compare. Some have more thump, some have more bite, some are smooth, some are harsh. Depends on your patch EQ and other settings as well, but again I haven't been able to do A/B comparisons with real cabinets, and haven't gone though all the various cabs with their intended preamp settings (i.e. Tweed for blues, Mesa for Thrash, etc).

The 2101, IIRC, was merely EQs (5 or 6 bands), whereas the 1101 is allegedly using models (still EQ trickery to me).

I will say the JC120 model sounds nice - just a hint of too much compression so you get that fast reduction and slow swell, with the little "pop" of the compressor whenever you pick the strings. It's also got that slightly boxey aluminum-instead-of-paper tone.
          The 83 JCM 800 model with the Vintage or British 4x12 does a convincing Priest, Maiden, and Schenker.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think I might try the 2101...
            We will know for the first time...
            If we are evil or divine...
            We are the last in line...RJD RIP

Comment

Working...
            X