Power Amp Question for you Amp/Rack Gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Amp Question for you Amp/Rack Gurus

I've always been a Head & Cabinet guy with minimal external effects.

So i just bought an Axe FX Ultra and I think I want to get a stereo power amp and put them in a rack rather than use the power section of my Mesa Mark IV.

I've been told that the Mesa 290 and 295 power amps would be a perfect choice with the Axe FX.

I'm open to other ideas....what say you?

Would appreciate any input.

Thanks.
    Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Another popular option are the VHT/Fryette power amps. I don't have an Axe-Fx, but I've been a rack guy for a long time and my two/ninety/two packs some serious balls.

From what I've read, the two/ninety/two with its KT88's is more transparent than the two/fifty/two, which uses EL34's. However, I know that alot of Axe-Fx guys like the color that the EL34's add.

Comment

I don't care much for tube poweramps. I went with a Rocktron Velocity 300. Loved it with anything it touched.

Comment

Do you have a tube preference? I've tried the Peavey Classic 60 (6L6), Peavey Classic 50/50 (EL84) and Carvin T100 (EL34), and like different things about each. I personally think the Carvin T100 or current TS100 would be the best choice for use with an Axe FX, simply because it will color the amp models' tones less than most other tube power amps while still retaining tube warmth. I use my T100 for recording because it stays true to the tone of whatever preamp I'm using. However, I prefer the Peavey Classic 50/50 for gigging, because 1) it's a 2U amp rather than 3U like most and 2) it has presence, resonance and level controls all up front, as opposed to some or all controls (if there are any) being mounted in back.

As much as it surprises me, the guys I know with Mesa 2:90 and VHT (model?) power amps have had a lot of reliability issues, which I've witnessed first-hand. Considering the price difference, I've just stuck with cheaper Carvin and Peavey gear, and I've been happy with it.
        sigpic

Comment

I used a Randall RRM 2-120 for the last year or so and its a great SS power amp tons of balls.
          Very nice unit.Very thick and full for a SS amp.
          Just got a Mesa 50/50 and quite happy so far.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

VHT/FRYETTE... you wont be disappointed. Check out the 2/50/2 or 2/90/2.

Comment

i have to throw in my love for the rivera hammer 120 or hammer 360. they are out of production, but if you can find one they make great power amps. the 120 is 60(watts)x2 with EL34s (can use 6L6) the 360 is 180(watts)x2 with 6550s.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I like the following affordable tube power amps.
                Peavey 50/50
                Peavey Sixty/Sixty
                Carvin T100
                Carvin TS100
                I like the following affordable SS power amps.
                Rocktron Volocity 100 or 300
                Mosvalve MV-962
                I bet the little Crate Powerblock would make a nice power amp for home use.

Comment

Vht 2150
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I have a Mesa 2:90 power amp that I bought used about 10 years ago. No reliabilty issues with it so far. Having said that, I tried my Axe Fx Ultra through that power amp and Mesa 4x12 cab. I thought it sounded better just going directly from the Axe Fx Ultra into a powered QSC HPR cab. Then I picked up a second QSC HPR powered monitor and the Axe Fx Ultra can run in stereo
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I gigged with a Boogie 2:90 and an Axe-FX Ultra into a Port City 2x12 for a while. It was good. Very good actually. But the Axe-FX sounds better to me when you at least take advantage of the power amp simulation. With the power amp sims enabled into a tube amp it was a bit too mushy for me. If you want to run into a traditional guitar cab then get a nice solid state power amp. You can get a kick ass solid state power amp for a LOT less money than a kick ass tube power amp.

Are you going to run stereo? If not, then any tube power amp is really not a great idea IMO. Most of them don't have a way to run mono and you have to worry about having a load on the side you aren't using. The 2:90 is supposed to not require a load if you turn the controls all the way down but all it takes is bumping those knobs and you are in for trouble - I always used a THD Hotplate set to be a load on the 2:90. I would get a used JCM 800 with an effects loop before I'd buy a 2:90 again. The Mark IV has a wierd loop - is that why you don't like using it?

I would look at one of the QSC PLX power amps - the 04 would be great (you don't need an 02 to go to 2 ohms). We've used the 04's in our PA for a couple years and they have performed flawlessly.

BTW, running the Axe-FX FRFR is better. But you have to get a good FRFR speaker. I see guys on the Gear Page and Fractal forums all the time looking for "the cheapest FRFR that sounds kickass". No such thing exists. I don't understand the logic that suggests spending $2000 on a processor and $300 on amplification makes sense. There's a reason that some powered PA speakers cost $300 - they suck and won't be useful for anything more than announcing raffle ticket winners at a strip mall carnival. You're going to end up spending at least $700. Note that buying a kickass FRFR is still cheaper than buying a good tube power amp.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                        I gigged with a Boogie 2:90 and an Axe-FX Ultra into a Port City 2x12 for a while. It was good. Very good actually. But the Axe-FX sounds better to me when you at least take advantage of the power amp simulation. With the power amp sims enabled into a tube amp it was a bit too mushy for me. If you want to run into a traditional guitar cab then get a nice solid state power amp. You can get a kick ass solid state power amp for a LOT less money than a kick ass tube power amp.

Are you going to run stereo? If not, then any tube power amp is really not a great idea IMO. Most of them don't have a way to run mono and you have to worry about having a load on the side you aren't using. The 2:90 is supposed to not require a load if you turn the controls all the way down but all it takes is bumping those knobs and you are in for trouble - I always used a THD Hotplate set to be a load on the 2:90. I would get a used JCM 800 with an effects loop before I'd buy a 2:90 again. The Mark IV has a wierd loop - is that why you don't like using it?

I would look at one of the QSC PLX power amps - the 04 would be great (you don't need an 02 to go to 2 ohms). We've used the 04's in our PA for a couple years and they have performed flawlessly.

BTW, running the Axe-FX FRFR is better. But you have to get a good FRFR speaker. I see guys on the Gear Page and Fractal forums all the time looking for "the cheapest FRFR that sounds kickass". No such thing exists. I don't understand the logic that suggests spending $2000 on a processor and $300 on amplification makes sense. There's a reason that some powered PA speakers cost $300 - they suck and won't be useful for anything more than announcing raffle ticket winners at a strip mall carnival. You're going to end up spending at least $700. Note that buying a kickass FRFR is still cheaper than buying a good tube power amp.
                        Exactly correct Tim, I can see not a single flaw in what you said
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

I'm shopping for a power amp too since I'm back in my old band. I don't have the Axe unit but here's my advice from the power amps I've owned.

VHT 2902 = best power amp I ever slept with. That amp cost more than the others I owned but worth every penny.

Peavey 50/50 = A nice, reliable el-84 amp and budget priced but KT88 or 6L6 poweramps will sound heavier.

I've never owned a Mesa 20/20 but supply and demand shows it's pretty damn popular. IMO they appear to be over priced for the wattage you get. I'm budget shopping this time around and so I'm skipping Fryette and Mesa. I'm probably going with a Carvin T or TS 100 unless I find a killer deal on a used Mesa 50/50.

I can tell you what NOT to buy:
                          Mosvalve MV962 = My "spare tire" amp that is stored in the band trailer. People do love em' and swear by them. I swear to you - it sucks. Once you've heard/felt/owned a good tube power amp, the Mosvalve = bingo hall PA at Shady Acres retirement home. I don't know how anyone can get a big rattle your bones sound out of those amps.

ADA Mosfet 100 = My first poweramp. I thought it was cool until I gigged with it. It had no balls and 50-watt tube amps bitch slapped me all over the stage.

Comment

I run my rack in stereo and the Mesa 50/50 is very nice, plenty of balls on either 15 or 50 watts a channel.Loud as hell too.
                            I run an old black face intellifex and it never sounded so good to be honest.It sounded great with my SS Randall amp and I have no quams using the Randall again.
                            The Randall is solid and packs a punch very transparent and loves processors.
                            I used my ADA micro tube 100 for a long time as a pre amp of sorts but again no real balls in the ADA but does help push another amp if needed.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

On Mesa, which is better to buy - older 50/50 or newer 2-Fifty? How about Carvin? The older T100 or newer? I've heard from a few "puritans" that older is better.

Comment

Working...
                              X