NAD: Carvin V3M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: Carvin V3M

After playing it only a half-hour or so, I've got to say I'm impressed. I thought
    I had it on the 22-watt setting, and was a little concerned about how loud it
    would be, as I had the master around noon. But it was holding it's own with
    the band pretty well. Then I looked and realized it was on the 7-watt setting!

Once I actually put it on 22 watts, it blossomed nicely. Plenty of power, albeit
    it was in our tiny practice room. I haven't tried it on the 50-watt setting yet, but
    I've got a gig coming up where I'll need it, so I'll be testing that out soon. Mine's
    the head-only package, and I was using it into a 4X10" cab, and it moved plenty
    of air on the 22-watt level. I think it's unlikely an amp based on 4 EL84s actually
    reaches 50 watts, but whatever the number, it should be plenty loud enough unless
    you've got Terry Bozio for a drummer...

Lots to like on this amp. Very quiet, even using tons of gain--which it has plenty of.
    I see no need for boost pedals, esp. given the nice sound using the built-in boost.
    But having said that, it takes a boost up front vey well, and seems to play well with
    other pedals too. I ran my Swell G-Pro [granted not ultra-hi gain] into a cheap
    DOD Flanger and Visual Sound Garage Series delay right into the input and it was
    dead quiet. I haven't used the FX loop yet. My style is pretty much what you'd call
    Classic Rock, and this amp seemed to be a perfect fit, but with all the gain and EQ
    available, I think you could do sludgy down-tuned stuff with it without a pedal no worry...

The tone controls are very sensitive, and it gives you a huge range of sounds depending
    on how you've got it set. Really nice presence control, that's kind of a master tone
    control [duh!]. I haven't really tried out all the combinations, and not too sure how the
    EQ switches work or what they do. I really like the built-in boost. So far I've just used
    it sparingly to make the amp stand out slightly, and not as an actual solo boost for leads.
    Which is just as well, as it's a global control, so once it's on, you get the same boost on
    all 3 channels. As far as I know, most amps with a boost operate the same way...

I'll give it another shot this friday, and I'll get a better review posted after that...

tj

Originally posted by lefty View Post
    Very quiet, even using tons of gain--which it has plenty of.
    I see no need for boost pedals, esp. given the nice sound using the built-in boost.
    The boost is a volume boost, not a gain boost.

Thanks for the nice review.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the review. Would be very interested in sound clips. I haven't been satisfied with the ones I've seen/heard on YouTube so far, but you know how that goes. Not necessarily a good indication of an amp's tone or flexibility.

Comment

Good choice! I've been spending more time with my V3M, and I'm really happy with the tones I'm getting out of it.

If you're going to gig with it, I would VERY STRONGLY recommend buying the rack ears and putting it in a rack, as (obviously) the front controls aren't recessed like on many amps. I just mounted mine in a 4U SKB "X" rack case (shallow 10.5" depth) that is the perfect size and still allows some space above and around the amp for airflow.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the review! I'm also interested in clips if you get the time.
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
          X