Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HNAD!!...belated...x2...again... =) (Marshall & Splawn content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HNAD!!...belated...x2...again... =) (Marshall & Splawn content)

Couple new amps! I'm on a roll, but I'm going to have to roll into retirement from amp buying for a bit...

New (to me) Splawn Quick Rod!

A little info here: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/118...lawn...oh-yeah!!

1997 Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb 100/50 Watt 2x12 combo in great condition. I had a 50 Watt head years ago, but didn't know the ins/outs of amps well then, and really never used it to it's potential. Throw an SD1 in front of this sucker, and it rips!

Instead of writing a book, I'll c&p an email I wrote to a buddy this morning...

AND...since I was "lazy" last night and skipped any form of exercise, I took some time to get to know all three amps again.

I will say this - the Jet City w/the Friedman mods is a diamond, and not necessarily "in the rough". That little sucker hangs in with the big boys with NO problems. I'm sure that might not be the case at L-O-U-D gig volumes, but for "too loud for the house" volumes, it's GREAT. Both the

The Chupa is a hotter amp than you would think. Hotter in a "sizzle" way than the Splawn at "mortal" volumes. I played around with the MXR/CAE line boost and put it in a couple spots, and it works great! Much quieter than the Ceriatone buffer, although not what I would quite call "quiet". I don't know that I've had an amp with the palette of tones on hand that this one has - it easily rivals the JVM, but with arguably better tones available FOR MY TASTES. I think a person could easily cover 3 decades of Van Halen tones with this amp, no boost necessary at all, but a boost/OD will give it an extra voice if you really needed one. As simple as this amp seems, it's actually a little complicated to dial in tones with all the option available with the voicing and gain/cut/bright switches. The manual was certainly helpful to get a base tone.

The Splawn is simply a monster. It seems to have one basic voice that doesn't change much with the "gears", and the EQ is a lot like Marshall - no big changes throughout the range of the knob. I run the volume about 9:00 with the volume pedal in the loop on the 50 watt setting. The 100 watt setting does open it up a bit for sure - I'll spend more time in that setting one my Suck Box comes in. It has a great mid that I like quite a bit - more than a dimed Marshall, less than a dimed Mesa. I pretty much run everything at about 2:30 or so, except for bass, which is at about 10:00. I still need to spend more time with this amp to figure out the sweet spots.

The JCM 900 is also a good amp, and will probably benefit from a little loop volume control. It's "typical" of the series in that it's a little hot on the high end, and tough to dial that out. I think that if I send it in to Trace @ Voodoo to get it modded, I'll get that addressed right away. Otherwise, it sounds great with the front end getting hit with the SD1, and the clean channel is decent for a Marshall. If I used the type of reverb it has, I'm sure it would be great as well, but I'm not a big spring-type reverb fan. The tones I get out of this remind me of what I was trying to get with my Mesa F-100 combo.

All three amps take effects well - rack or pedal. The Chupa was problematic at first, but I think I have that sorted out now.

I thought I'd really miss the Spider Valve, but I don't...yet. I have a boatload of Marshall-y stuff to dig into. Can't lose with any of these amps.

So there ya go. Here's the whole shooting match. The only thing missing is a Greenback-loaded cab. That's the last piece of the puzzle.

Sweet dog. Nice collection, I'm very jealous of them all, but in particular the splawn and ceriatone. I think I can see a Splawn in my future at some point.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
      Sweet dog. Nice collection, I'm very jealous of them all, but in particular the splawn and ceriatone. I think I can see a Splawn in my future at some point.
      Ha! Yeah, that's Salomon. He's the only one who really appreciates my playing!

The Splawn is great, but interestingly enough, I usually go for the Chupa. I hope you can snag a Splawn though...pure awesomeness! If I had my wish, it would have been for the Competition that I was going to bid on and went for $950, but, a Quick Rod has it all...

Comment

sweet. very Sweet.
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

love the yellow lab lol...and the amps
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
            love the yellow lab lol...and the amps
            It amazes me that he sits up there on the bed while I play. I ask him, "Do you wanna jam?", and he RIPS up the stairs. I hope I don't make him deaf... He is a GREAT pal though...

Comment

Originally posted by toddstaples View Post
              sweet. very Sweet.
              Thanks, Todd. Your recommendations are part of what got me looking at Splawn.

Just hit you up on FB again. Not sure what cyber world has against me .

Comment

My dog hates it when I play, he cant get out of the room quick enough, my youngest daughter on the other hand, stands in front of the cab and hops up and down and goes Ahhhhhhhh, Ahhhhhhh and pounds on the grill cloth. Shell also change the channels on me and try strumming the strings if Im sitting. Sorry for the hijack.
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                  Thanks, Todd. Your recommendations are part of what got me looking at Splawn.

Just hit you up on FB again. Not sure what cyber world has against me .
                  Glad I could help. I have a Purple QR on order too. I know, I have a problem...

It was Shawn that pushed me to Splawn land..... Lmao.....
                  "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Working...
                  X