Boost for Boogie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost for Boogie

I've just started exploring the tonal possibilities of my Studio .22 with the pre-amp volume set to less than 10, and that's great . However, in true Spinal Tap style, I'm also wondering what it'd sound like turned up past 10.

Will something like the Xotic RC Boost drive the amp harder and get more distortion, or is the amp already pretty much saturated once it's at 10?

If the RC Boost would work, is there something cheaper that would do just as well? I don't think I need or want the active EQ, for example.

Thanks!
    Cliff
    My other signature says something funny

You can always get a little more by pushing the input harder. Dont push too much though, it will overload and sound like poopy past a certain point.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Back when I had a Boogie, a Mark III, I tried a Proco Rat and I swear I couldn't hear a difference. That .22 is a screamer, I doubt you could up the gain if you tried, lol.

Comment

What I've found with boogies is that boosts really don't do much. The cascading preamp pretty much does it's thing no matter what you hit it with. I tried a bunch of stuff in front of my Mk II and basically nothing really worked.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks all. I think you're right - on playing a bit more, there's plenty gain there already if I want it.

Comment

I have owned several Studio 22's and Studio 22+'s
            The + has more tonal options and gain because of the EQ.
            If you have a Studio 22 without the EQ I would suggest the following..
            Boss GE7 graphic EQ in the loop
            Some type of tube screamer out in front. The Bad Monkey is a good cheap one. The TS9 is better.
            I also like the Boss SD-1 out in front. Great pedal for the Studio 22. Fairly quiet too.

Comment

When i had a mesa i used the sd1 and it was good enough for me. I just set my gain to a nice 90's metal sound then cut on the sd1 and pushed it into brutality. Like jg suggested, an eq would give it more tone options.

Comment

Thanks guys. It's a 22+, so I have the EQ.
                I didn't really want to modify the amp's tone, so I went with a clean boost - the Dunlop MC401. It doesn't give me any more gain in lead mode, maybe adds a bit more thickness, but adds a whole new range to the rhythm, with lots more distortion options between that on max gain and lead mode on low gain. So far I really like that bright dirty sound.

Comment

Working...
                X