Peavey 6505+ goins ons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 6505+ goins ons

So, I found my self in possession of a 6505+ halfstack, head and matching cab(yes the ENGLs gone, what else do you expect from me, got tired of asking people if they could hear me because I couldnt), but it didnt have a footswitch. Well, you know me, ingenuity over the all mighty dollar, so I made one, cable and all(for roughly $20). The stock pedal and cable sell from $60 to $90 online, OVER PRICED as far as Im concerned.

So, as some of you know, the stock footswitch controls channel, crunch on the clean channel, and FX loop. I dont give a rats ass about the later two, I adapted a 7-pin DIN midi cable to tip/sleeve 1/4 in.. Its 7-pin on the amp end and 1/4 on the pedal end. It was really a quite simple project. You just had to mark out which wires went to which pin, then solder pin 7(lead channel hot) to tip and pins 3(footswitch present hot) and 4(ground) to ground. Done. That simple.

So now we have a cable, what of the switch? Any f'n switch you can find that takes tip to ground, ie. older Marshall, Peavey, Crate, the list goes on. You can make one as well with a small project box and a single off/on push button switch. Im curently using my Behringer ABY pedal(it also can do switching, its really useful for a Behringer product), but I plan on making the custom box soon as the ABY box is battery powered.

So, there you have it. This fix may not work for everyone, but for those that dont use FX switching or crunch and are missing the footswitch, theres your reasonably priced fix.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

cool that you can do that. cables and i are enemies....instead of fixing them, i just buy them.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

how do you like the 6505+ half stack. There is no way you can't hear yourself now!!

Comment

The only thing I dont like so far is the limited range of the bias pot, but I read theres a couple of fixes for that. Colder running tubes, or a resistor swap. I just tracked two songs with it tonight and LOVE the recorded tone, where as with all the other amps weve used thus far Ive been ok with, but not blown away. Im sure it will be loud enough, actually the first words out of the bass players mouth tonight were "damn...thats loud". Ive found a tone for live/ rehearsal I like already, well see how it sounds in the mix with everyone else soon I hope. Also, this head definitely sounds its best through its matching cab. I full stacked it with my Randall cab and and got in front of both and the Sheffield 1200's definitely sound the best. Weve got a Peavey Windsor cab too that just sits around because it makes every amp weve connected it to sound like pure ass, so I was a little worried at first, but the 6505 cab sounds great.

Comment

Did you find yourself lost in the mix with the Fireball? That's pretty common with the 6L6 ENGL amps. The 100 has a mid boost button to try and remedy this. The 6505+ is a great amp though.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
            Did you find yourself lost in the mix with the Fireball? That's pretty common with the 6L6 ENGL amps. The 100 has a mid boost button to try and remedy this. The 6505+ is a great amp though.
            You could hear me, but it always seemed like everything over all could have come up a few more db, but if I pushed the amp that hard, it went to far into power amp distortion for my liking.

Comment

Working...
            X