Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80's sounding effects

Hi there guys!

This is my first posting on this forums and I'd like to start with something that I hope can help me out discovering my own sound. I'd also like to try exchanging some ideas and concepts about effects.

My main reference will be this guy:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

For those who already know him it is needless to say he was a Charvel slinger on his day and he could shred with the best of them. For those who don't know Criss Oliva I think you are missing out on something, so feel free to check him out.

But I'm not here to talk about his gear as it was already discussed alot around the internet. What I'd like to hear from everyone interested in this thread is their opinion about the 80's heavy metal era's effects and sounding for guitar.

Basically what kind of effects were more used back in the day?

Wich current brand/models can give you the best response if you are trying to achieve a sound reminiscent of the 80's?

And of course, wich effects would I need to use if I would want to sound like Criss from the Sirens to Hall Of The Mountain King era? What models are currently the best to achieve that also? Sure there's a lot of delay and reverb, but how can I get it to sound like that? Very heavy and dark but at the same time very clear and perceptive.

I hate the modern sounding "metal" (I can't call it heavy metal), and living in a country were there was almost no heavy metal during the 80's, it's really hard to get the knowledge from older guys that were part of the scene back then. I hope some of the older people around here can help me out with their experience.

I will try to delevop this theme a little bit more. But now I'd like to hear the opinions of anyone who's interested on contributing.

Your amp needs to be the basis, not the effects. Criss is a legend here BTW. Some guys very close to the Sava-dudes would know EXACTLY what he used, but my recollection is Laney & Marshall amps, a pair of OD pedals in series, Chorus, and Delay. Since they kinda do the same thing in timeless fashion, pick the ones you can afford or like best. Very wet tones are key obviously.

Good luck. Remember, chasing tones can be fun, but at the end of the day, you always sound like YOU. Criss had a great gift, and he'd sound like himself through any rig.

Comment

I vaguely remember that we pretty much went for the direct into an amp, or may be a distortion/overdrive box in front of an amp and that was it. Really. This is the secret of the best of 80s sound, same as it is today for the better of the "modern" sound.

The processor/multiple stomp box thing came late 80s/early 90s, but is was short flirtation.

Comment

nothing says 80's metal tone like a JMP-JCM800 2203/2204 with a boss SD-1 in front. its a one trick pony but that is the basis. Also a Boss GE-7 to shape the tone even more...
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

LOL, wouldn't that be an APA MP1?

Comment

I was playing some Sirens today. Just using a CR8 Les Paul and my DSL100. Stock Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups. It was working for me. Remember Criss didn't have modern high gain amps we do today. If he did he probably would have used them.

I've heard a pair of DS-1's daisy chained, but I'm not into foot pedals so I don't know first hand. Just what I've heard.
            Last edited by DonP; 07-01-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply but I've been very busy.

I like some of the opinions that have been brought up. And all seem pretty valid, but I'm looking to get a more specific information.

My current rig consists of a Kramer Baretta, a Charvel Predator and a Laney GH50L for amplification. I'm currently out of effects, and I'm not buying any before I'm perfectly sure of what to get.

I was trying the other night that program called "guitar rig" from native instruments (don't know if you guys ever heard of it), and I ran a virtual distortion pedal with a studio reverb to simulate a "big hall" setting. Kind of like playing inside that cave from the Mountain King. Ahah!

What I got was a very similar sound to Criss's. I play a lot of Savatage solos note by note, as it was the larger part of my guitar formation, so that part of playing like him is actually not a problem. Though I don't play it as sharp as he did yet, but I can pretty much nail the technique.

So maybe I should try running my amp with a clean sound and get my distortion out of a Boss SD-1. That's what it seems.

And how about reverb and delay units/pedals? Which ones should I try?

Should I put up a small rack or use some stomp boxes?

Which models are the best ones out there?

I'm glad my amp has a fx loop, so I can run the distortion on the pre-amp and then get the reverb and delay on the loop to have a powerful overdriven sound and yet clean on the modulation effects. Just like Criss used to have.

Comment

For rack mount I would go with an old Rocktron Intellifex. You could also use the Roland SDE1000. I think thats what it was called. It was the industry standard rack mount delay at the time. Yamaha SPX90, those old Digitech RDS rack mount delays.
                Most old school 80's metal tones were Marshall based. They had a fair amount of delay and reverb and some chorus splashed in for solos.
                If you are looking at stomp boxes go with the industry standards at the time..

MXR Distortion +, Boss SD-1, DS-1, MXR Phase 90, Boss DD-2, Boss HM2, Morley wah, GCB95 Dunlop Wah, Boss NS2 noise gate, Dimarzio pickups in your guitar. Seymour Duncan wasn't that popular in the 80's. Neither was EMG.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  wasn't that popular in the 80's. Neither was EMG.
                  Er, except with a couple unknown bands like Metallica & Slayer
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    Er, except with a couple unknown bands like Metallica & Slayer
                    And Winger!

Comment

OK, Stuart!
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Rockman + Criss Oliva = studio HOTMK
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Seymour Duncan wasn't that popular in the 80's.
                          Really? So Jake E Lee, Warren Demartini, Lynch, EVH, Mick Mars and Slash do not count? If anything, Duncan feels even MORE 80s than Dimarzio to me. But it all depends on the specific model of course.

Comment

Seymour Duncan wasn't that popular in the 80's. Neither was EMG.

Comment

Working...
                            X