Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6505+ 1-12" combo

Let HIM buy his first REAL amp.

No matter what I say....he knows everything.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
      Funny, I had a dad who showed me how things worked to prevent me from destroying it, worked pretty well

Guess it's a matter of trust
      man, you really got me pegged. I just don't trust kids.

As I said before, it depends on the kid. Some kids will listen & do the right thing. Many kids don't give a shit, it's another toy, if they don't turn it off before they go to school, who gives a shit anyway? And when it stops working, I'll force the 'rents to buy me something else before shit-talking the amp all over the internet.

The kid that you can trust is most likely the one asking all the endless stupid questions on the internet while he saves up to buy it himself. That's a kid who is into the gear, wants nice stuff, is willing to work hard for it and will protect their own investment.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Well, there's always Pavlov therapy to get them to do the right thing
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

The mg series marshals are notorious for the fans going out and overheating. But imo they aren't bad for what they are. Just keep an ear out for the fan getting loud and keep it maintained.

A friend of mine had this happen to him, and I was playing on one they had for cheap at a local pawn shop and the fan on it acted like it was trying to take off down a runway it was so loud. If you look online I believe there are similar stories.
          I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Originally posted by ralph View Post
            I have a series 4, (latest?) series MG101FX (100W, 1x12 combo) and I really like it. It is loud enough to jam with, although it thins out abit when turned up loud, to fix this you can unplug the speaker and plug it into a 4x12. I know a lot of people hate these, but I am inexperienced with tube amps find that this is less hassel, no bullshit, just plug in and play. Dont have to tweak it so much, with my tube amp I find that i spend more time tweaking than playing and then just turn it off and switch back to the MG.

Although having said this, I only play with the gain maxed out, and I dont use either of the clean channels

I also prefer the later series MG to the earlier ones, more balls in my opinion
            I have the 1st generation MG100HDFX, and the later series MG's sound good in high-gain mode, but the clean channel is a little tinnier (they're both tinny in the clean channel) than the 1st generation MG. A decent clean channel is a must for doing George Benson stuff. The only cabinet my MG sounds decent in is an oversized 2X12 Diesel cab with Eminence speakers, which are actually pretty muddy. The muddiness of the Diesel cab, and the tinny sound of the MG balance out.

For the tube sound, I use a Peavy JSX through a Marshall 1960 4X12 cab. Unlike most tube amps, the JSX is a super high-gain amp that takes very little tweaking. The gain set on 3 is similar to the MG on 10, and with the effects loop volume maxed out, it's at least twice as loud as the MG, or any Marshal amp, for that matter. I'm looking to get a Mesa Dual Recto Roadster next - possibly
            New Venture, Old Theme~

Comment

Working...
            X