Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a new amp ... trying to narrow down ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used a Mesa single rectifier Rectoverb combo for years and loved it! That's the amp I regret selling for sure. I did the effects loop mod to make it a series loop. It was a killer amp! Sounded killer, built like a tank and extremely dependable.

Comment

They are so totally different. What kinds of sounds are you looking for?
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
        They are so totally different. What kinds of sounds are you looking for?
        This is very true.. apples and oranges really.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Looking for something a la Demartini ...not sure how to describe that tone other than slippery/buttery/etc. lol ... I know Marshalls and Soldanos are the way to go. So many damn amps to choose from lol. I've owned a JVM and a Rectoverb before, had a Carvin MTS. Not sure if i was totally satisfied with any of the amps per se. Would like to find something that is simple, tube driven, and articulate. I guess my playing tends to be more 80s-ish than anything else, and Demartini has probably always been my biggest influence. Sky is definitely not the limit. If someone said the best sounding amp out there is a Crate 2x12 combo, I'd be happy lol ... but I know that's not going to happen. So I was looking at the Rectifiers and the DSLs because I see them on eBay for less that a grand. And then there's lots of new import tube amps coming out like Blackstar and Jet City. Would like to try some out but don't have anyone around here who sells them. Thought about the Peavey 6505+ 1x12 and played through the combo (Chinese made one) and it sounded really good but I'd rather have a head and a 2x12 cabinet .... so that leaves me with the 6505, which is more expensive because it's still made in the USA. So I'm chasing tone but would like to get something nice right off the bat since I'm hoping this will be the last big amp investment i make (yeah right!).
          My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

I believe the Jet City JCA100H is essentially an SLO clone (Designed by Soldano but built in China IIRC) and I think Warren used the SLO back in the day so that one would probably get you in the neighborhood.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              I believe the Jet City JCA100H is essentially an SLO clone (Designed by Soldano but built in China IIRC) and I think Warren used the SLO back in the day so that one would probably get you in the neighborhood.
              I had a JCA100. For the money, you would be hard pressed to find a better quality amp for. The tones mentioned. Mine was great. It has a great taper to the volume, so it sounds great at bedroom volumes, which is unusual for a 100 watt amp. I've heard they benefit from a tube upgrade, but certainly not a necesssity. It takes pedals quite well.

That said, the JCA100 is built around the Hot Rod according to the amp geniuses out there. Basically the only difference is a few minor components and resistors, and of course, trannies.

Comment

Warren uses a SLO and a Diesel live now. but he started his career with a Marshall boosted with an SD-1. Then moved on to a SLO, now he uses the SLO with a Diesel into Marshall cabs with 25w greenbacks.

so.... I'd get the JCA100, or a Mashall and SD-1. But the greenback cab is key.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                  Cool! I have a Rockerverb on the way!

I played my QR for a couple hours last night. Such a cool amp.

The Randall RM series of amps is a great "Swiss Army Knife" amp. Great for people who change all the time, and the nice part is that after your initial investment, it only costs you a couple hundred bucks for a "new amp". I had the RM100KH. Heaviest amp head built I think.
                  RM4 + RT2/50 = lots of possibilities

4 different types of preamps, 2 different poweramps which you can use on 2 different speakers
                  (Say Marshall preamp with EL34 power into 12's and in another channel Fender preamp with 6L6 into 10's)

Don't expect carbon copy results, and some amps have certain mojo between pre- and power- impossible to replicate well with these 2 units (Tube rectified for example)
                  But it'll cover a lot of ground

Though if I were to buy one single head, from what I heard: I'll take my chances with the Carvin V3m
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

You need to go to a Marshall high gain tone based amp. The JCA100 would be a great choice.

Comment

A lot of votes for JCA100 it seems. Are Jet City that good? They're so new but look good. Don't have anywhere to try one out around here. I would prefer the JCA50h and the 2x12 cab ... would like to hear more feedback on these.
                      My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Originally posted by thetruthguy View Post
                        A lot of votes for JCA100 it seems. Are Jet City that good? They're so new but look good. Don't have anywhere to try one out around here. I would prefer the JCA50h and the 2x12 cab ... would like to hear more feedback on these.
                        The reason there is so much feedback on the 100 is because Jet City's main downfall has been supply side - the 50 was just hard to get. I wanted a 50 too, but it was a lack of patience that got me the 100. 212 or 412 will be great either way.

I agree with Dreamlands observation on speakers though...GB's rule for Marshall tones form the 80s & 90s. T75s if you're going for the thrashier Bay Area sound. My next cab will likely be a GB loaded 212.

Comment

Id have to agree with BillZ, the 6505+ combo would be the way to go. The EQ section is very articulate, you can many tones from it, even bad ones. I know that might not sound like a selling point, but IMO, the more tones you can get out of an amp, usable or not, the more versatile it is. My experience with the stock JCA100 is one tone with some minor variations if you tweak the EQ, basically its its own thing and theres not much else you can do with it. Of course, if that one tone is your tone, then its gold I guess. Go find all these amps and play them, and play them, if not with YOUR guitar and cab, one on the hanger thats the closest to what you have at home. As far as the Carvins go, youll probably have to take the word of those of us that own one as theyre only available mail order, odd ball used, or California resident at only two locations new.
                          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Working...
                          X