Peavey XXX Super 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XXX Super 40

I want to put a pedal infront of my Peavey combo that will give it a little kick in the ass. Any suggestions?

Tube screamer ??? Boss SD-1 (the yellow pedal)??? Man, there is a zillion OD pedals out there from cheap to super expensive...

I still have an old TS-9 in my arsenal, does the job fine when looking for some more gain.

Some really like the Maxon OD808 over the TS9.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Not much difference between a tube screamer and an SD-1. SD-1 is a good bargain OD pedal for bang for the buck and its bulletproof. I think there are some modded ones out there too that will change up the character a bit. The other guitarist in my band uses a fulltone OCD. It's nice but a bit expensive compared to the Boss. With an OD if you want to add gain increase the level, if you want to add hair increase the drive.

What pickups are you using and cab if appropriate? I don't know if that amp is a combo or not. What type of change of sound are you looking for? That will help people with recommendations.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

As previously stated, there are a ton of them out there. personally I think alot of the boutique ones are just nonsense. I mean you can argue that till the cows come home. but I really think a TS9 will get you there cheaply and effectively. there are TS9 clones out there too that are even cheaper. and the Boss is a tank of a pedal. Boss pedals are a great value even though many pedal snobs scoff at them. they are dependable and bullet proof. and I really think a TS9 will hold its own against any OD pedal. I am sure others would laugh at me, but I truly think people get way too wound up and picky over some pedals. sure they are bound to sound different, but put them in a band situtation, with drums and bass blaring, and I am sure you cant tell the difference. as guitarists, we are finicky bitches.
        Last edited by tonemonster; 06-21-2011, 06:43 AM.
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
          As previously stated, there are a ton of them out there. personally I think alot of the boutique ones are just nonsense. I mean you can argue that till the cows come home. but I really think a TS9 will get you there cheaply and effectively. there are TS9 clones out there too that are even cheaper. and the Boss is a tank of a pedal. Boss pedals are a great value even though many pedal snobs scoff at them. they are dependable and bullet proof. and I really think a TS9 will hold its own against any OD pedal. I am sure others would laugh at me, but I truly think people get way too wound up and picky over some pedals. sure they are bound to sound different, but put them in a band situtation, with drums and bass blaring, and I am sure you cant tell the difference. as guitarists, we are finicky bitches.
          Tonemonster, great minds think alike!

BTW, to the OP, why do you want an OD with a Peavey XXX? I played that amp once and it had more gain than I could ever use. I was very impressed.

If it's for experimenting, don't look further than a Boss SD-1, Ibanez TS7 (cheaper version of the TS9) or a Digitech Bad Monkey. One of these 3 could satisfy your added gain appetite. And they won't brake your budget.
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I just want something to change it up a little until I can swing a Splawn Street Rod. Now, if someone would just buy one of my guitars I'd be good to go!

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
              Tonemonster, great minds think alike!

BTW, to the OP, why do you want an OD with a Peavey XXX? I played that amp once and it had more gain than I could ever use. I was very impressed.

If it's for experimenting, don't look further than a Boss SD-1, Ibanez TS7 (cheaper version of the TS9) or a Digitech Bad Monkey. One of these 3 could satisfy your added gain appetite. And they won't brake your budget.
              +1 on that TS7. I have one and I cant tell the difference between that and a TS9. Its built well, metal box, and good quality. no seasick green but big deal, you cant hear the color.
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
                I want to put a pedal infront of my Peavey combo that will give it a little kick in the ass. Any suggestions?
                Hard to imagine needing extra oomph for a XXX Combo given the channel gain AND
                built-in boost, but I admire your attitude! I'd go for something like a Fat Boost as
                you likely don't need more grit, just a punch-up. I've got the 40-watt FX model and
                love it!

Comment

Experiment with different (brands) tubes a little, can make a world of difference
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

^^^ Excatly with they said. I had good experiences with SD-1, TS-9 and 808. VERY similair, but I find the SD-1 are a smidge brighter which can be great for a darker sounding amp. The TS-9 lops off a bit of highs and lows and tightens up the mids. The 808 is about the same thing with a little more bottom..but don't expect a glaring difference

I'd say a new SD-1 for approx 40 bucks or new TS-9 for approx 100. I would A/B those initially making your decision. ..and go from there. The green TS-9 stigma was established when the original discontined ones went for silly money, and their popularity just stuck, making them a lil more costly. The Maxon versions are much more..and I just don't hear the difference to justify it.

I went with a new IBZ TS-9 for $100 w/ adaptor. The Boss SD-1 sound really nice too. I'm not really a stomp kinda guy. I like to plug N play. But it's a perfect tool for me to achieve effortless Dime-like squeals/harmonics from hell, and makes for a nice clean boost too.

Actually, any of the three would've been fine by me..

Didn't try the TS-7 (silver? right?), but I had a older plastic Soudtank with the same guts. There was something I didn't care about it. It was plastic..with a green sticker on ..the knobs kept fallin' off it. So that one just kissed my ass.

Personally I didn't like any of the "turbo" ones with more gain..they seem to mud things up, which was the opposite of what I was looking for.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I just experienced a new issue with my XXX combo. When I first go from standby to on, I get a high pitched squeal and some static. Is this a sign of needing tubes?

Comment

look into MXR pedals. they are amazing, and they have a ton of different overdrive options to try. a distortion + or a zakk wylde OD would probably give your amp a nice kick to the jewels

Comment

Working...
                        X