Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD! Like a Dreamsicle?

A White Orange!

Picked up a limited edition Rockerverb 50. I think my Shiva GAS has been put to rest! This amp (almost) literally plays itself. It sounds awesome at all volumes, and is somewhere between Mesa & Marshall - it has Marshall overtones and nice mids, but with some of the creamier compression you get from Mesa. The Clean channel is AMAZING! I've never had a high gain amp with such a great clean. The reverb is pretty much maxxed-out around 1.5. After that, forget it. Too much. It takes effects great, takes an OD pedal great (not that it needs it), and has more than enough gain around 2:00. Mine has 4 x 6V6 tubes, so it's not a super crunchy amp, but you can get more by backing off the gain a little, and using an SD1 to boost it a little. I'm VERY pleased with this amp - it's definitely a sound I don't have from any of the others, and finds it's way out when I play things a bit more "modern" - great for AIC and stuff like that.

Oh...and a pic of the Mesa Mark IV I picked up a few weeks ago:

The "Tone Corner":

Last edited by chrisolson; 06-26-2011, 09:20 PM.

nice! Did you get rid of the Chupa?
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      nice! Did you get rid of the Chupa?
      Thanks!

Yeah, the Chupa is on the block. I think I have a buyer - just waiting to finish the deal. That was a hard decision to make for sure, but my Quick Rod does the things I really like about the Chupa, and does them a little better. If it weren't for having a pile of amps that wouldn't get much use, I would keep it, but I have to pay for the Orange somehow.

Last piece of the puzzle - a Greenback loaded cab of some kind.

Comment

Wow..what a stable man..that's nice!!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          Wow..what a stable man..that's nice!!
          Thanks! Now if I could just learn to play...

Comment

nope, you need a Shiva
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
              nope, you need a Shiva

Oh, the oragnic tones of any Bogner is pure sonic orgasm!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Cool amp collection. I played a 30w Orange recently (can't remember the model)...it definitely kicked some ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                  Cool amp collection. I played a 30w Orange recently (can't remember the model)...it definitely kicked some ass.
                  I played a Thunder 30 recently, and it was pretty cool. It's the one with the "Shape" knob for the mids. It was indiirectly responsible for what I have now! I played the Rocker 30 a couple years ago, and the only thing that kept it out of contention was the lack of a loop. Orange has done some pretty cool stuff lately.

The Chupa sold yesterday, so this is mostly paid for now. Gotta like that. I have an Ibanez RGD320 coming in, so I'll finally have a guitar I can down-tune a bit (the Charvel WDMs don't like that much), and I'm betting that will rip with the Rockerverb. That amp is voiced nicely for downtuned stuff I think. Heck, if Jim Root was using them in Stone Sour and Slipknot, I should be in good shape.

Comment

cool that the Chupa sold. My out of pocket on the RM100 was almost nothing because I was able to sell the JCM900 (at a profit!!) and a G Minor.

Just remembered that I tried an Orange tube combo last week. Was in the amp room, checking out a Fireburst LP Studio through it, don't know what model amp. Great, girthy tone. I didn't really fiddle with the amp because I was really just checking out the guitar. But it sounded great. It was awesome for the Gary Moore/Randy Rhoads type riffage I fallback on when trying out guitars
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

I updated cabs tonight. Got an Orange PPC 212 with (gasp!!) Vintage 30's. It's going to take some getting used to. It sounded...poor...with the T75's in the Marshall. It was definitely designed with V30's in mind.

I'll probably get a 212 with Greenies at some point. The other amps will appreciate that.

Comment

A week with the V30 cab has opened some new avenues! I was most concerned about my Splawn and how it would sound through this cab. It sounded pretty good through the T75 Marshall cab, and the mids were pronounced with that cab. Splawns have a distinct mid sound, and I thought that the V30s would make it unmanageable. WRONG! That amp came to life more than any of the others. The mids are now very musical through the Orange cab. I was really surprised with that.

The Rockerverb is a hard amp to pigeonhole. Some days, it sounds great, and others, just meh. It's sensitive to everything. I just got an Ibanez RGD7321 7 string this week though, and that amp sounds great for the low tuning. The RGD comes factory tuned to drop-A (ala KoRn), so it RUMBLES. Very cool guitar though. The finish should be shiny in a few days...

I had one other development occur in the last week, and it could be a dream come true if I can swing it. A Friedman Kitchen Sink with Brown Eye, c45, sat, loop, channel switching... I hope I can make that one a reality. It would be a trade + cash on my part. The JCA would be gone, and depending on the ground covered, *possibly* the Quick Rod. BUT...If you're into modded Marshall tones, it doesn't get much better than this.

Comment

Working...
                        X