Looking at affordable tube combos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at affordable tube combos

I'm looking for a tube combo that I can afford without having to go on a strict diet of surplus canned beans for months. Any suggestions? I'm looking for a very specific sound, my sound is sorta like if Santana, Holdsworth, and some 80's rock god combined into one person, with a secret jazz influence and a hint of Eric Johnson
    . What I mean is, I want a smooth, sustaining drive sound, but I want to be able to brighten, bite-en, and tighten it up so I can play chug-a-lug stuff like an 80's rock god, but I also need a decent clean sound, I don't mean Paul Riario clean, I mean like Joe Pass clean. Like really jazzy, warm clean, but I also want to be able to play clean, clear rock rhythm stuff and country-type things. I also want this amp to have enough heaviness. Even though I like playing rock, metal, and fusion, I want to have enough gain and tightness so I can do more modern stuff, like my explorations into djent. I don't want the amp to be fizzy and undefined (think Line 6, yeesh). Basically a smooth lead sound, a chug-a-lug 80's rock sound, jazzy AND country cleans, and some tight, uber metal riffage. I've been looking at a few amps, but they don't seem to do it for me. I tried a Peavey 6505+ combo, it's a little too metal for me, WAAAAY more gain than I could ever use, but with less gain it sounds alright plus it's powerful, the cleans are kinda meh, I tried an Egnater Tweaker, easily the best sounding amp ever, but I can only find the 15 watt version, and it can't stay super clean at higher volumes, which is a must. Plus it doesn't have enough chug, maybe classic rock, blues, or fusion but not super chug-a-lug stuff. I was thinking the Marshall Haze 40, it has enough power, it's pretty versatile, it's a MARSHALL, plus it has a couple of effects I would actually use. However, I've only tried it with a Tele, would I be able to get the thick drive sound and jazzy cleans with my Charvel?
    Any advice is appreciated, I can't exactly afford to experiment with different amps and I hate going to music stores.
    -A great man once said, "EMGs, they make a bad guitar sound good, and a great guitar sound good."
    My Rig- Charvel San Dimas Style 1
    Hands, featuring Fingers

How about the engl screamer? You can get a lot of different tones out of that one, super clean through tight, bright, high gain tones.

Comment

Traynor YCS50 if you want a 1x12 or YCS90 if you want a 2x12. Covers sonic territory from Fender + Marshall cleans and plexi to almost recto dirt channels. Tons of voicing options. Accutronics spring reverbs. Serial and parallel loops. Worth looking into.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Mesa Mark V
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

The Peavey Bravo is great. Might be a little difficult to find though, but the cleans with a middle and neck SC pup selected and a little bit of reverb, blues fucking heaven, I mean BB King tone almost to a T. The lead channel is brutal too. It can do crunch or Peaveys Ultra gain. All tube, 25 watts.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

do you play out? if not the egnater tweaker is a killer amp. i have one. i actually took it to practice one night and it worked out just fine. no, the cleans were not as clean as my 120 watt rivera, but for 15 watts, it sounded great through the marshall 4x12 i was using. as far as the higher watt tweakers, as far as i know they have not been released yet. i am waiting on a tweaker 40.

if you do play out and you NEED an affordable amp that is gonna cover all that ground those traynors that hellbat mentioned would do the trick. you could also consider the fender super sonic 22. that is a sweet little amp too.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

This guy has the best sounding YCS50 recordings on youtube that I've found. Good example of some of the tones possible on the clean and dirty channel.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

peavey triple x may be an option for you, it's alot brighter thn the 6505 and has good cleans

Comment

Mesa/Boogie DC-5...can be had for about 550-650 on eBay. Great amps and good bang for the buck, way under rated imho
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Digitech GSP 1101 with a tube poweramp. Roland JC-120 model kicks major ass for cleans, Jazzy or otherwise, plus it's got the Fender models for your C&W twang, not to mention tons of gain for everything from early Sabbath to the latest "whatever they're calling Metal these days" fad.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Laney AOR series. Nuf said.

Comment

Mesa Nomad 45

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                          Mesa/Boogie DC-5...can be had for about 550-650 on eBay. Great amps and good bang for the buck, way under rated imho
                          ^^This. The Mesa F-Series is pretty good too.

Comment

The Marshall JMD501, whilst it has digital preamps, might be a good idea. I tried one 3 months ago, and it's easy to get good results fast. It has built-in FX too, though I didn't need to use them. Mine's on order, due next month...
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Check out Carvin. From what you describe the X100B might be a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X