No announcement yet.

Looking at affordable tube combos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I have to be the voice of reason here. Lets see, you want " Basically a smooth lead sound, a chug-a-lug 80's rock sound, jazzy AND country cleans, and some tight, uber metal riffage, smooth, sustaining drive sound, jazzy, warm clean, but I also want to be able to play clean, clear rock rhythm stuff and country-type things" and you want the amp to be affordable!!!!
    No chance bro unless you get a modeling amp. You will never find a tube amp that will do all that and be affordable too.
    I think the only amp on the planet that might handle all that is the Mesa Boogie Mark V. Maybe.. and I mean maybe the Mark IV.
    Mesa Boogie Road King might do it but I don't know if you can get it in a combo.
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Tremoverb might do it. You can get that in a 2 x 12 combo.
    Basically, I think you are going to need to get a Boogie and its going to need to be an expensive one.
    The Bogner Ecstasy 101B might do it too but you can't get it in a combo and its insanely expensive.
    You could always get a Bogner powered Line 6 Spidervalve combo and get every sound you listed and tons more but you mentioned you don't want a modeling amp even though this one is Bogner powered.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
      Check out Carvin. From what you describe the X100B might be a good choice.

The X100B will do some of the tones he is looking for. The Legacy would do some of them. The MTS3200 would do some. The V3 would do some. All 4 amps combined would get him there.

Comment

Mesa F-30 is a good choice, or Carvin V3 or V3M.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Maybe it would be easier if you posted a figure that you consider to be affordable?

Mesa Roadster combo has a lot of versatility among its 4 channels. But affordable? Not really, unless you consider it to be a bunch of different amps in one heavy package.
          Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            I guess I have to be the voice of reason here. Lets see, you want " Basically a smooth lead sound, a chug-a-lug 80's rock sound, jazzy AND country cleans, and some tight, uber metal riffage, smooth, sustaining drive sound, jazzy, warm clean, but I also want to be able to play clean, clear rock rhythm stuff and country-type things" and you want the amp to be affordable!!!!
            No chance bro unless you get a modeling amp. You will never find a tube amp that will do all that and be affordable too.
            I think the only amp on the planet that might handle all that is the Mesa Boogie Mark V. Maybe.. and I mean maybe the Mark IV.
            That was exactly my point

What he wants is either a Mk V or perhaps try a Randall RM50 (or 100) with various modules
            neither are cheap
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
              That was exactly my point

What he wants is either a Mk V or perhaps try a Randall RM50 (or 100) with various modules
              neither are cheap

Exactly bro.

Comment

I think you missed the word "affordable" Mark IV, Roadking are not really affordable neither is the Bogner Ecstasy and that isnt a combo either

perhaps if the OP would define "affordable" to him we can narrow it down lol. I think "cheap, but good" when I hear affordable
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thats why I recommended the Traynors. Good amps but under a thousand bucks brand new.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                    Thats why I recommended the Traynors. Good amps but under a thousand bucks brand new.
                    Where are Traynors made?

Comment

canada
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Yeah, they are built in Ontario by Yorkville. They are very much a mass produced amp, using a lot of robotic assembly and circuit boards versus point to point. But they are well designed, built tough, and sound good.

I did get a slight improvement in sound on mine from replacing the stock 12ax7's with Mesa sp12ax7's. I think the stock may have been Sovteks. I'd have to dig them out to be sure.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                          I think you missed the word "affordable" Mark IV, Roadking are not really affordable neither is the Bogner Ecstasy and that isnt a combo either

perhaps if the OP would define "affordable" to him we can narrow it down lol. I think "cheap, but good" when I hear affordable
                          I think you missed the features that MtMS requested
                          When I calculate those into an amp, the term "affordable" becomes VERY relative
                          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                            Traynor YCS50 if you want a 1x12 or YCS90 if you want a 2x12. Covers sonic territory from Fender + Marshall cleans and plexi to almost recto dirt channels. Tons of voicing options. Accutronics spring reverbs. Serial and parallel loops. Worth looking into.
                            +1 thats what I was gonna reccomend. You also might want to try to find a used MESA Electra Dyne or Stiletto Ace.

Comment

you're not the original poster so how do you know what is affordable to him?
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

I liked the clean tone...did not like that lead tone
                                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                                X