Solid-state compared to trans-tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid-state compared to trans-tube

I currently own a U.S.A. peavey trans tube and was wondering what kind of amps I should stick with. Whether i should go with another tube and or to go ahead and get a solid state amp. I usually play a metal with more melody to it. I enjoy the tuby cleans but i prefer a better distortion

ANY HELP??

Transtube IS solid state. Its supposed to emulate a tube amp. As far as SS versus tube amps, personal preference, though you will find more tube offerings of professional quality. I like both, though for SS I stick with Randall, but not that RX series stuff they have now. I like Titans, Vortex,V-Max, V2(hybrid amp), Warhead, Warhead X3 etc. On a daily basis though, I play my Peavey 6505+, my Titan gets use every now and then though.
    Last edited by Twitch; 07-20-2011, 08:28 PM.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I posted about my new Vypyr 60 watt tube amp in this thread: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/121...ing-Amp-Plunge It has a 12AX7 in a Transtube circuit. This amp sounds incredible. It blows away most of the tube amps I've heard/played. Can't say enough good things about it or the tube power amp and Transtube tech that generates the distortion. My understanding is the Transtube circuit acts as a bridge between the computerized modeling amp and the tube power amp. I have a Classic Series 120 and could have bought a POD, but chose the Vypyr 60 after playing it for 40 minutes.

Twitch, next time you're in GC try out the Vypyr 60 watt tube amp. Select the 6505 and press the amp selector knob inward so the light on the amp selector is red (high gain) and not green. The 6505 on the high gain setting is my favorite so far--just interested in how well this setting captures the tone of the real thing.

You get the best of both worlds with a Vypyr tube amp--SS gain and high pitched harmonics all over the fret board along with the dense, rich distortion of a tube amp. I had the Vypyr 75 (solid state) and it was too sterile. I took it back a few days after buying it. All I can say is I'm more impressed with this amp and more motivated play every day because of it.

Comment

ya after playing solid states for a long time and having a tube amp now, my opinion is tube is the only way to go

Comment

I find SS amps are great for at home practice but seem to get lost in the mix in a band practice situation. If you are practicing with a band I would suggest tube all the way especially if you are playing with another guitarist that is using a tube amp.

Comment

Working...
          X