General Tube Amp Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Tube Amp Noise

Ok, so Im Mr. Fixit, Mr. Modify, I know a lot about tube amps and electronics in general, buuut, I have a query for the rest of the group here.

EVERY tube amp Ive ever owned will go through random fits of random low frequency static. I always try to keep up on tube replacement and proper bias, but every amp? It kind of sounds like what happens when you jiggle the cord, but with out the high frequency popping. Its a fuzzy static that manifests itself in bassy "thunks" with some sizzle afterwards. I dont know how to describe it better than that. Most of the time, its barely audible, usually can only be heard while not playing, and only if you just happen to notice it. Today though, the 6505 was doing it where I could hear it while playing solos and my open high E had a warble to it like if it were being tuned to another string or standing under a ceiling fan(that in its self is a trip, you should try it). The thing is, I could mute all the strings and it would still do it, and it does it with ALL my guitars. I even tried playing the same note on a lower string and it DOESNT do it then either.

Anyhow, heres my question; is this static just part of having a tube amp, or have I had the bad luck of having an issue with all my tube amps?

As far as the modulation of the E, I just mentioned that because it was weird, Im not worried about that because this is the first time Ive noticed it. If it keeps doing it, then Ill worry about it.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Less time worrying about noises when you aren't playing, and more time playing!
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
      Less time worrying about noises when you aren't playing, and more time playing!
      Heh, yeah. I normally wouldnt worry about it, but like I said, this time it was louder than my playing, granted the amp wasnt turned up very much, but still. The E thing is just odd.

Comment

Maybe try shifting around preamp tubes and see if it changes? Thats a 5 minute troubleshooting. Maybe one tube is sensitive/microphonic at specific frequencies.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Maybe there's some sort of radio interference--a ham radio--that's causing local interference with electronic devices. It could be line noise, too. I've had tube amps for decades and haven't noticed this.

Comment

Does this occur only at home or studio. It may be just bad gound lines in the building.

Comment

One place where tubes get noise from is "shot noise" on the anode resistors. These are the (typically) 100K 1 watt resistors. Try replacing with high quality resistors.

Here's another question however, do you only get this noise when the gain is crancked up? i.e. can you make it go away by turning down the gain and turning up the volume (running cleaner)?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Here's another question however, do you only get this noise when the gain is crancked up? i.e. can you make it go away by turning down the gain and turning up the volume (running cleaner)?
                If it is a contributing factor, then Im in trouble, because the phrase "turn it down" in regards to gain or volume does not compute. Also, as I interpret how "shot noise" happens, it would be a low gain occurrence. With the amount of electrons being produced by that much amplification, the "shot noise" would be present, but virtually undetectable.
                Last edited by Twitch; 07-27-2011, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X