Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will get me the most accurate JCM 900 tone? ADA-MP1 or JMP1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will get me the most accurate JCM 900 tone? ADA-MP1 or JMP1?

Currently using a JCM 900 2x12 and just swear by it! Problem is I need a rackmounted pre amp for the rig I am building.

Had a few JMP1's in my time and they never really nailed that JCM 900 tone IMO.

Can anyone shed some light on the ADA MP1 being any better or more accurate? Are they really that noisy too?

Suggestions?

Try the Digitech GSP1101. It's got the 900, 2000, and 800. As for accuracy, beats me. The ADA MP-1 isn't bad on its own, but it really needs an external EQ unit. I use a Digitech TSR-12 with mine and can dial in literally hundreds of different tones with either the TSR's EQ alone or using both EQs together.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Jmp-1, not really sure why you couldn't get the same tone but it is essentially the same circuit (albeit with a digital interface).

Comment

And weren't the JMPs built by the main guy who did the MP1 after ADA folded, before going to Digitech to do the 2101?
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

May I ask why you NEED it to be rackmounted?

Comment

Probably to go with the rackmounted poweramp.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Probably to go with the rackmounted poweramp.
              Seems like a lot of trouble for nothing if he's happy with the tone of the combo. I would rather just get a small rack for the fx unit and keep the combo. Or even something floor based, like the Line 6 M13. That plus a combo is the most convenient rig ever. But, I would like to know what the thread starter wants to accomplish with the rack setup as opposed to the 900 combo.

Comment

another alternative, rip out the guts of the 900 and rack mount that. A buddy of mine did that with a couple Laney AORs

as for the original question, I'd imagine that the JMP-1 would get closer to the 900 tone. Both are good preamps though.
                Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by rocksoldier View Post
                  Seems like a lot of trouble for nothing if he's happy with the tone of the combo. I would rather just get a small rack for the fx unit and keep the combo. Or even something floor based, like the Line 6 M13. That plus a combo is the most convenient rig ever. But, I would like to know what the thread starter wants to accomplish with the rack setup as opposed to the 900 combo.
                  True, but the combo has no effects. Not everyone plays straight out R-n-R where geetar-guzinta-amp and everything's on 10. Some people might want to use effects but not lug pedals around. Having a rack-based setup means you lug a rack the size of the head (or smaller) and the cabinet. You plug in and everything's there. You've got one pedal controlling the preamp and the effects with one cable to it and one for the guitar, instead of 10 pedals and 12 cables.

Comment

Well said Newc!

That and the sonic clarity and tonal options are awesome too!

Comment

I stand by my opinion, you won't save space by getting a rack amp, it gets large and heavy pretty fast. But whatever floats your boat...

What do you plan on getting fx wise?

Comment

well, let's just say that depending on your needs you can very well save space/hassle and flexibility by using a rack setup.

Comment

Fx wise I run an old Roland SDE 3000 as well as a Digitech TSR-24S

Will purchase a TC 1210 for chorus or maybe an old LOft 440 even

A drawmer DS201 take care of the noise and my trusty old BBE 422A is included as well.

A VHT 2150 will power the whole 16 space rack into two Marshall 1960A cabs

Comment

Ah. A 16-space rack is going to be overkill for a live gig. While the beauty of a TC chorus cannot be disputed, in my experience the general audience won't know the difference, and frankly won't really care.

Personally, I'd get a 4-space rack (unless the VHT is 4-space, in which case get a 6-space rack) and take only the JMP, TSR24, and the VHT. Maybe an 8-space to allow the JMP some breathing room.

Now, it could be argued that the 6 or 8-space rack is as big as (or bigger than) the Marshall head, BUT there again the head alone doesn't include the effects, so that argument can STFD and STFU

And I'd only do 1 cab unless one's a dedicated monitor for you or the drummer (my ex drummer preferred to have an extra cab of just my guitar sitting right next to him live because we worked very well together, and had the same "feel" for audio cues).
                            Or if you're the lone guitarist and wish to run stereo on both sides of the stage and miking will not be done.

Of course if this is a home and/or studio installation that isn't going to be gigged (or if it's a serious touring gig), then by all means, 16 spaces and 2 4x12s is perfectly legit.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              Of course if this is a home and/or studio installation that isn't going to be gigged (or if it's a serious touring gig), then by all means, 16 spaces and 2 4x12s is perfectly legit.
                              I thought for creating a decent rack setup, a 24 space shockrack with 8 4x12s was a minimum regardless of the application

If I were to make a bare bones rack I would end up with 5 spaces filled: Preamp, Poweramp (2u),FX, Powerconditioner
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X