Need Splawn speaker advice for a Mesa Roadking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Splawn speaker advice for a Mesa Roadking

I need some help picking a speaker and or cabinet.

In addition to my Splawn QR, I also have a Mesa Roadking combo. I have a Mesa 2x12 recto cabinet that I use with it as well as the combo speakers. It works really well. to make a long story short, I had some water damage on the Mesa 2x12 cabinet. I am looking to replace it, and I really am impressed with the build quality on the splawn cabs, and was thinking of possibly replacing the Mesa 2x12 cab with a Splawn 2x12 cab.

Now....... here's where we get into the "fun" part. I know speakers are debated till people are blue in the face. I know there are lovers/haters of the V30 speakers in the Mesa 2x12. personally, I like the sound it has. But I am open to options. So the question is, Will the Splawn small block speakers in a 2x12 work well with the Mesa Roadking? Keep in mind, the road king is a rectifier, but its not the new metal thing. the Roadking is versatile, and hits twangy country cleans, gritty blues, vintage rock, and melt your face off recto metal. its a swiss army amp. it does everything. So the speakers should be a similar "catch all" style that isnt pegged to one specific style of music. so I want to know if you folks can provide any insight here. I would like to know if I can get a splawn cab that will sound outstanding powered by the Mesa Roadking. Or am I better off to just stick with the Mesa 2x12 again?

also, the other option is......... I could buy a Splawn 2x12 unloaded and put whatever speakers I wanted in it. OR I could even see if Scott and the crew would install a set of whatever I picked in it. I dont know if they do that, but it doesnt hurt to ask. just and idea. should I hand pick a set of Eminence speakers and load in it? or get V30's for it? the options are virtually endless. Eminence must make 50 different models of speaker... how do you even begin to pick one? its just crazy!!!!!!!

SO I am open to options here people. Any and all feedback and advice, information would be greatly appreciated!!!!
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Doesn't the Splawn 2x12 come standard with 1 big block and 1 small block?
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

That I dont know. I thought you requested the speakers when you order it. thats how it went with my 4x12 cab.

Comment

Does Randall make a 212 version of the Mr. Scary cabinet? It would be awesome if it had the heavy framed speakers in it that George loves to use. I would love to have some for my 212 or 412. Good luck Tonemaster.
        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
          Does Randall make a 212 version of the Mr. Scary cabinet? It would be awesome if it had the heavy framed speakers in it that George loves to use. I would love to have some for my 212 or 412. Good luck Tonemaster.
          thanks. I am always a bit leery of buying things GL uses. He seems to jump on any endorsement deal he can find. plus he has odd taste in tone these days.

Comment

I personally would stay wit a Mesa cab for the Roadking and get an oversized 2x12 but I'd do on C90 and one V30 .
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

well I tried my boogie through my splawn 4x12 and my marshall 4x12 last night. I think I am going to order a Splawn 2x12 with small blocks in red to match my Boogie. that should be pretty damn cool.

Comment

Working...
              X