Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Amp Recommendations...What 'ya got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Amp Recommendations...What 'ya got?

So I'm wondering if I may be looking for the impossible. Like maybe I need to reconfigure my expectations. I'm looking for another amp, along these lines. Not sure this really exists...

- At least two channels, preferably three.
    - Chimey sparkling Fender-ish clean channel
    - Moderate distortion, classic rock channel
    - High gain, layered overtones channel. Think hot-rod'd Marshall, "brown sound". Not a fan of the deeper "chugga chugga" Mesa tones.
    - Would prefer a "lunchbox" size package, but not necessarily a must.
    - All tube tone, not looking for a modelling or hybrid amp.
    - Very good effects loop, to run a GT-10 etc through.
    - Under a grand in price. Preferably well under, I'm being a cheap bastard with this purchase.

When I first heard if the Carvin V3M, I thought this might fit the bill extremely well. But the more I hear and see video clip demos, I'm not digging the high gain channel. Something about it sounds...I don't know how to describe it...hallow. Like it's missing a gain stage or something, not enough overtones.

So what 'ya got? Looking for other amp recommendations that fit this bill as close as possible. Help a bro out before I drive myself nuts over this.

Randall RM100, with 3 modules to taste. Easy user bias and takes a range of power tubes, including mixed types. So run 2 EL34s and 2 6L6s if you like. Serial and parallel loops. Although it would be the anti-lunchbox amp, weighing in around 68lbs.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

If it where me I'd go with the Carvin V3 instead of the V3m. As far as the hollow 3rd channel put an EQ in the effects loop and it's only $850. I want a V3 myself but funds being what they are it's only a dream. Good luck.
      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        Randall RM100, with 3 modules to taste. Easy user bias and takes a range of power tubes, including mixed types. So run 2 EL34s and 2 6L6s if you like. Serial and parallel loops. Although it would be the anti-lunchbox amp, weighing in around 68lbs.
        Exactly this!
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I'd go with the Carvin V3M. You've got 10 days to try it out to see if you like it.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

bugera 333xl, not so small but very diverse head.

Comment

Bogner Shiva if you want a combo. Bogner Ecstasy 101B if you want a head
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                Bogner Shiva if you want a combo. Bogner Ecstasy 101B if you want a head
                Shiva or Ecstasy for under a grand?

The v3 is a really nice amp and can get very thick tones, it will also get very scooped tones if you want it to - it's extremely versatile. Another carvin to check out, but one that doesn't come in a lunchbox factor, is the x100b. It has great cleans and does that hot rodded marshall-esque thing quite well. The x amp probably does the hot rod thing a little better then the v3 but the v3 is WAY more versatile.

I don't know much about it but have you checked out the Bogner/Line6 alchemist amp? It's all tube except for the effects which you can disable. It's in that price range and might be worth checking out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                  Exactly this!
                  +2, but better start working on those muscles...

Comment

Oops, didnt see under a grand price...
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

The Randall RM series has been pretty tempting. Not sure how any could manage the 100 watter w/3 modules for under a grand, too, though? I've actually been considering the 50 watt two-module head. That power is plenty (No need for more full-on face melting - I've already got a JSX half-stack to handle that. LOL), the size is more appropriate, although two channels is a bit of a turn-off. I've been really digging the RM tone samples I've been hearing on YouTube. Seems a bit prone to being noisy, however. Nothing that a noise gate in the effects loop can't solve, though.

Comment

there's an unloaded head for $550 on ebay right now. Or you could check out the classifieds on http://www.mtsforum.grailtone.com/ There's a guy selling a head with no tubes & no modules for $400, or $425 with preamp tubes.

You can pick up secondhand modules for around $1-150. You don't need to fill all slots to run the amp either. So a module or two will get you started if cost is an issue

the only noise issue I've had with mine is because of the fan. It's a noisy bugger. But you can't hear that when you're playing anyway - the fan doesn't get any louder as you turn up. Some folks have swapped the stock fan out for one of those whisper quiet pc fans. Having said that, I'm not one for balls out over the top gain, so YMMV.
                        Last edited by VitaminG; 08-09-2011, 09:05 AM.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks, G. Appreciate the advice and tips.

The full head is too much for what I'm going for with this one, but I'm seriously considering the 50W version.

Comment

As a V3M owner, I'd say that it's tough to make a fully informed choice without hearing all three modes on each channel AND the EQ "expander" both on and off. I had fully intended to record clips doing exactly that, but totally forgot when I had an opportunity and now won't be able to for quite a while. I decided to take a chance and preorder my V3M despite very few clips being available at the time, and fortunately it does everything I need. However, it seems like someone is announcing their new compact tube head offering almost daily, so I'm not going to pretend that the Carvin is the best choice for everyone. I just wanted to point out that it covers a lot of tones if you're willing to do a little tweaking.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                              bugera 333xl, not so small but very diverse head.
                              As an owner of a couple of higher priced amps and vintage Marshalls etc...I gotta say these are an unbeatable value for the features and price.

I picked one up (dead mint) for $400 as an inexpensive backup off of CL having never played through or hearing one in person.
                              I bought it after hearing some you tube demos and I gotta be honest and say I am impressed with the sound of it.

I know there is a lot of hate for these and somewhat of a bad quality rep but I gotta say don't close the door on these until you've tried one.

Comment

Working...
                              X