Peavey 6505+ or ENGL Powerball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 6505+ or ENGL Powerball

Ive got a guy that will trade me his Powerball and V5 footswitch for my 6505+ half stack. Im kind of torn. On one hand, to me, thats a damn good trade offer. One the other, that will leave me with a sub-par cab too run the ENGL through.

Help me out with some insight and the poll.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Hell Yes!
    75.00%
    Yes, but..
    16.67%
    No
    8.33%
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

what is the sub par cab?
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Cab 1. Randall 412 with x pattern Celestion Super 65s and Seventy 80s, not horrible, but low freq cut off is 80hz for both. Cab 2. Kustom 412 with four Seventy 80s, same specs, cab material is pressed board with plywood baffle.

Comment

I'd say go for it. From a price standpoint, the Peavey's sell for $600 ish used, a cab will run you $450 and the ENGL goes for about $1450 used. If you really wanted to, You could make the trade, sell the engl, buy a 6505 stack and have some extra $$$ in your pocket.

Comment

I definitely be playing for keeps, at least for a little while. My real concern is the lack of bass response my other cabs have, thats all. Granted, until I got the 6505 stack, these two cabs are what I was using primarily, but after having the 6505 cab, Ive come to really like the extra bass response, that I know the other cabs lack after running the 6505 head through all of them.

My dilemma here is a damn good head and mediocre cab, or a very good head and very good cab. Price aside, Im weighing my tonal options, I know Id come out ahead monetarily, but thats not really my concern here.
          Last edited by Twitch; 08-22-2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Do it. Especially if it's a Powerball II.

Bear in mind, the Powerball and 6505+ have a very different gain structure, so play the Powerball first if you can to see if you like it.

Also, you may find that the Powerball doesn't cut very well (A common problem). If you have an EQ of any kind, it's easy to fix.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Well, by what I was reading about the PB, the amp has a solution to the "cut through" issue built into it.

I previously owned the Fireball, and it was great, just didnt have the balls in the power section to keep up. If the two tones between the two ENGL amps are anywhere alike, then Im good with the tone as far as the amp goes, just worried about that little bit of low end Id be losing.
              Last edited by Twitch; 08-22-2011, 05:16 PM.

Comment

They're fairly similar in tone.

As a Powerball I owner, I just use an MXR 10-band with a "frown" EQ curve (Similar to what my preference is anyways; more mids) and it cuts fine. Some people still have trouble getting swamped in a mix, for whatever reason.
                I like EL34s.

Comment

This brings up another question, Grim. Hows the clean channel on the PB? The clean on the 6505+ sucks ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                    This brings up another question, Grim. Hows the clean channel on the PB? The clean on the 6505+ sucks ass.
                    Very usable. On the II you get a separate gain control for clean and crunch, which is a godsend. Blows the 6505+'s clean out of the water, but then again, almost anything does.
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

Well, fuck it. Ill be leaving to hit Louisville to make the deal in about 10 minutes. You probably wont get a review until tomorrow because I have the feeling tonight will be a tweaking night. We all know how long that can take.

Comment

My Bud In Ringworm, and Ripper's Beyond Fear (amoung others) toured with two Powerball stacks, Opening for John Oliva's band several years ago. Since he's traded them in for 6505+ and has been happy since. But both are great amps that must be played to taste.

My kid recently bought a new 6505+ 1-12" combo and I hooked it to one of my Marshall 1960 cabs..very nice. They're NOT the same old 5150s, they're definitley revamped with a great crunch channel, ALL usable gain (unlike any original 5150)...very decent cleans with accutronics reverb.

I do like the Engle SE, but waiting to check out the Jeff Loomis sig model..of course.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

im on 65 north with it in my back seat, yes im posting while driving, so excuse my puctuation and caps. Cant wait to get home. I demoed it through a mediocre cab at the guys house, knew immediately i was making the right choice.

Comment

Well that didnt take long. Nailed the tone I was looking for in short order. Now to go continue to noodle. Ill post a NAD later.

Comment

Congrats Twitch! Nailing a good tone easily should be the essence of a great amp.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X