Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crate G40CXL Shit amp sounds shitter but what could be the problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate G40CXL Shit amp sounds shitter but what could be the problem?

I must have bought this dual channel twin speaker combo in the early '90's, as I remember it was a shop replacement for a Fender combo that sounded really sweet but went tits up after just a few days.

As I remember it sounded very compressed, fizzy and completely devoid of tone from day 1, whatever the gain settings were. Turning the 'shape' up made it worse, with loads of white noise, even if you so much as breathed on a string. It would never sing, it would never crunch and it would never, ever play the blues. The clean channel also used to flap and break the speakers over 2 volume. It was a shit amp.

Plugged into it the other day and it sounds bad man. And I mean in a bad way. More compressed and flatter sounding than ever. Could a capacitor or something have gone? I want to brush off the cobwebs and sell it. Twenty years is enough I reckon.

Edit: Just found out it won amp of the year in 1990. That Fender Switcher or something did kick its ass though. Its not my bag at all.

Still don't know if I'II sell it. Fond memories of cycling 12 miles to band practice with it strapped to my back when I was a nipper. Does anyone have an opinion on the amp?
    Last edited by ginsambo; 08-23-2011, 02:41 PM.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Rubbish. Sorry.

Comment

I had one of those years ago. It was my first amp. Fond memmories myself.
      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
        Crate

^

Was there any doubt?
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I had a G212 back in the 80's. I ran a home stereo equalizer patched into the loop with all the sliders cranked.

This guy told me "God damn, your guitar is so distorted it's feeding back everywhere like crazy and it sounds like it's about to puke the speakers right out the front."

I said, "Thanks."

Comment

Wtf?
            I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
            X