Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack questions

Hi guys,

Is a multi effects unit like a TC, G Maj 2 or similar able to split the compressor stage out before the preamp and then run a line back in the for the fx loop after the preamp stage?

Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding how these things work?

I am considering whether to buy a seperate compressor and not the use the compression from a multi fx unit.

If it has any bearing I play high gain melodic death metal in B tuning and am trying to maintain a quite traditional metal tone (think old Megadeth but lower).

I am running a JMP-1 preamp.

The reason for the compressor is that I want to even out the attack of my shitting picking technique! and just generally tighten up the sound. From my understanding of fx the compressor is one effect that wants to be infront of the preamp. Or am I wrong there too?:think:

i am a part time studio engineer on the side, and i will tell you that compression is onr of the most mis-understood effects out there. guitarists using compression to even out their technique should put the compression in front of the amp. if you want to tighten up the sound compression works equally as well in the effects loop. in my opinion, you need a separate stereo compressor for your rack. use one side in front of your amp and the other in your effects loop to tighten the sound. i did something similar to this with the bass player in my band and his overall dynamics increased ten-fold.

i use alesis 3630/3633, samson s-com 2, dbx 166 and behringer auto-com compressors regularly with guitarists/bassists in the studio. any of those should go nicely in your rack and all function/sound about the same. just pick based on your price point and you should be happy. there ARE better compressors that i could recommend, but you would get diminishing returns - especially if you are running mostly distorted guitar.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X