Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss GT 10 - How are the sounds?

Folks:
    I currently have an Axe FX Ultra that I use thru a couple of power studio monitors. I really like the Ultra, but sometimes think that it is overwhelming in terms of the features it has. I'm a "bedroom" type player and no professional musician by any means. I've been thinking seriously about selling the Ultra and buying something small and less complicated, perhaps a Boss GT 10. My only reservation is the quality of the sounds I can get with the GT10.
    Even though the Ultra is a digital processor, I really like the sounds I can get from it. The question is: can I get decent distortion sounds from the GT 10? I play mainly 80's metal, hard rock and shred type music (Vai, MacAlpine, Timmons, etc).
    I will appreciate any feedback that GT 10 users would share with me on this subject.

Wilkinsi and a couple of others have the GT10. My two cents though, Ill be willing to bet that the Axe FX sounds miles better. If youve got the best there is, why get rid of it. You dont have to be a gigging artist to have and enjoy the finer equipment.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Try a Digi 11 rack. It sounds (IMO of course) far better than a GT-10 and the interface is dead simple. That said the I would spend time learning the Ultra myself. Currently (other than the AFX2) it's the best modelling solution going.

Most people using the GT10 are not using it for amp modelling, it's just a multi-fx in the loop of their amp. With your set-up if you were set on getting rid of the AFX the 11 Rack or POD HD 300-500 would be probably the better replacements.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
        Most people using the GT10 are not using it for amp modelling, it's just a multi-fx in the loop of their amp.
        +1 GT8 user here doing exactly the above.
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          Most people using the GT10 are not using it for amp modelling, it's just a multi-fx in the loop of their amp.
          I third this notion. That's exactly what I use my GT-10 for. And I also would DEFINITELY take the time to learn the Ultra. As useful as it is to have so many effects in one place, I feel sometimes that the GT-10's features are sub-par to what I could get out of either individual analog pedals or a REALLY good modeling unit if I just use my amp as a power section. So that's my two cents.
          I don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin.

Comment

Hey:

Just my Experiences with the GT family:

I use it only as an effects box live, It is ridiculously featured. I can do anything I want with it and while the GT 8 colored my tone a bit the GT 10 is far cleaner and my Mark IV loves it (my rectifier spits up blood just looking at it) Harmonies and tones for my Metallica cover, my Mid 90's clone act, and servicable for whatever my original act does. (I use it as my clean sound solely as well)

Live nothing else for sub $500.00 is as featured and configurable (YMMV!!!!!)

Would I record with it? no, However;

My guitarist uses his for recording all the time and he gets great clean and distorted tones. in fact he gets great sounds and I am always remarking that .

But.

(Big but at that)

I have never played fractal stuff so my comments are one dimensional.

Cheers!!

Patt

Comment

<-- longtime gt user

I currently have a gt pro (basically two gt processors in a rackmount format) that I use through monitors and record directly onto the computer. It's a good box to have for the price, lots of usable features etc. but it can be difficult to get usable distortion tones, you really need to tweak the sounds and play with the eq's a lot for it to sound good. I'd say stay with the axe fx.
              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I also have a gt 8 & 10. I imagine the ultra is nicer but I can tell you that all the amps I've tried dual rec, 5150, jcm's , bogner and such nothing can get the tone I can get with the gt 10. Bold as that statement is. It's true.

It's actually a far more advanced unit than most people think. Once I bought the roland dvd on it I learned a lot more on how to setup a patch to mimic shitloads of tones. Far better than the preset patches.

Used you can get these for around 350 best money you'll spend imo.

Also theres a guy on youtube that used his gt to mimic alot evh tones.. It was cool to watch.

Id still like to try an axe ultra though.
                Last edited by Corpsegrinder88; 08-28-2011, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Corpsegrinder88 View Post
                  I also have a gt 8 & 10.
                  So how much the 10 is better than the 8?

I really like my GT8. Don't use much FX out of it. But I think the reverb and the flanger are not very good in the 8 and the delays are just OK. How do they compare to the 10?

I'm waiting for the 11 or 12, I bet they are not too far from releasing one... But if they remove the amp control switching feature I may go with a used 10.
                  JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                  Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

The 10 is lots better. But you will be waiting a good while for a gt12.

go ahead and pick up a 10, 4 knobs instead of a million like on the 8. And has a looper! While it's no rc50 looper. Still pretty awesome pedal for 350 used or less
                    Last edited by Corpsegrinder88; 08-28-2011, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patt View Post
                      Live nothing else for sub $500.00 is as featured and configurable (YMMV!!!!!)
                      Have you tried a GNX3? A little convoluted if using as a preamp as well, but veeery versatile, and the amp models are very organic, not digital sounding at all. I use to have a pair of them, one for rehearsal, one for live.
                      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Actually, my GT-10 goes straight into my VS recorder. I have in the past connected it to the serial return of my Randall RT50C. I intend to use my Marshall JMD501 on its own. Might try the 4 cable method at some point...
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I had the GT 10 and thought is sounded like ass. Could not get rid of it fast enough... IMO the GT 8 sounded way better. Check out GT Central and search for cocked wah. You will find pages after pages on how the GT10 sounds like a wah is turned on for higher gain modeling.

Comment

Its even there on mid-gain preamp settings. Very subtle. My Marshall doesn't have this problem, even though it has digital preamp models.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

For what its worth I found the GT 10 to be a lot "cleaner" in the effects loop than the 8. But I only use it for effects and a clean JC120 sim for clean tones.

Patt.

Comment

Working...
                              X