Played a Fender Super Sonic Yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played a Fender Super Sonic Yesterday

Freaking awesome amp! I figured since it was a Fender, that it would have good cleans but no balls on the lead channel. It had mass testicles for a tweed covered Fender head on the lead channel, at least for a Fender. Sure, its testicular fortitude would be out matched by almost anything else that was designed more around the lead channel, but this thing was pretty brutal for what it was. It had at least as much preamp gain available as an 800 or 900, if not more and very punchy.

Anyhow, the cleans, oh man the cleans. This thing had the best cleans Ive ever heard. I havent spent much time with tube Fenders period beyond a Bassman and I think a Super Reverb(I think thats what its called, big 410 beast). While the Bassman and the Super Reverb are clean and bold, they never really swept me off my feet. Id take my Powerballs clean any day, since its already built in. The Super Sonics clean though, blissful, and had two options. You had the choice of the Bassman clean and the Vibrolux. The Bassman mode was just as I described above, but that Vibrolux mode, damn what a nice clean. Veeery clean (to be expected form a Fender amp) and very full sounding but without the over apparent low mids found in the Bassman. It had a lot of acoustic like qualities, which is what I prefer for clean tones.

I wish I had the scratch, patience(sorry bat) and gigged often enough to run a second amp for cleans only. Id have come home with it last night.

Despite the money thing, Im thinking about how I could perhaps pick it up, just mulling it over, not too seriously though. Anyone here have the Super Sonic? After owning it for a while, what do you think about it?
    Last edited by Twitch; 09-02-2011, 02:53 PM.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
    I wish I had the scratch, patients and gigged often enough to run a second amp for cleans only.
    You'd think as a doctor with a successful practice, you would have the scratch for one of these.

I haven't tried one myself but when I think clean I think JC-120 first and then a Fender 2nd.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Never had the chance to try a JC120.

Comment

Squeaky-Clean.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

I've tried it, killer amp.
          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Well, the thing with the JC120 is that no chorus pedal will ever come close to capturing the thick syrupy goodness of the built in chorus in the amp. Take the chorus out of the equation and it's just a ridiculously transparent clean amp. Not always a good thing. But the chorus is pure sex. And because the amp itself is so clean, it plays really nicely with other pedals in front too.

I do generally prefer a Fender style clean to a Marshall style clean though.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

There are a helluva lot of em out there since they have been produced for forever; maybe you can pick one up for cheap, since you are talking for cleans only.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

the super-sonic is one of my favorite amps. which version did you play? the 22 watt, 60 watt or the new 100 watt? i was just playing a 22 watt version today. while i prefer the 60 watt for headroom, it was still fabulous!!! i am a bit biased though...i prefer fender amps/designs over everything else.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

60 watt head and matching 212 cab, Mark.

Comment

cool.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X