amp lead boost mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp lead boost mod?

Anyone ever get a 100 w head modded to increase the volume capability on the volume boost function?

Got a Kustom HV 100HD on which the tone and on board fx rock but the volume boost option leaves me lagging a little behind my other guitar player's volume. Footswitchable Volume Boost is a cool feature in itself, allowing players to dial in a volume level for solos – whether clean or dirty – and then activate this boost using the HV footswitch. Rather than drop a volume pedal or gain/ boost pedal in the line, I thought maybe I'd just up the volume capability on the boost control.
    Anyone know if this has been done or done it?
    Last edited by vector; 09-12-2011, 12:30 PM.

I guess Ill go ahead and reply for you, seems the other amp nuts missed this one. Yes it can be done. Almost anything can be done. Chances are, all it would take would be a resistor swap somewhere. Without a schematic, however, I cant help you there. It probably uses its own OP amp or changes the feedback circuit of another circuits OP amp to boost the volume pre power section. The HV is a hybrid amp, much like valvestate. If it were tube, it could be a little more tricky, but being SS and recent to boot, its more than likely OP amp related.

Get me a schematic and Ill tell you where to go if youre not afraid of PCB component replacement.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Ok, I found the owners manual for your amp. Kustom are idiots. Ok, your "boost" knob is no more than a global master volume thats foot switchable. So what that means is, your amp is 100 watts with both channel AND "boost"(master volume) all the way up.

At higher volume levels, your "boost" will have less noticeable effects. Why? Say you have the lead channel volume 3/4 up and you have boost/master all the way up and lets assume that the rotation of the pot is linear to your output. With the lead volume 3/4 up and boost all the way up, youll get a 25 watt boost with the "boost" engaged when using the lead channel. Now lets say you have the lead channel volume 1/2 way up and "boost" all the way. Youll get a 50 watt boost in this scenario. It takes twice the power to make a easily discernible difference in perceived volume.

Chances are, you play with your band with your lead channel volume around 7 or 8 already. Even if your "boost" is all the way up, and you engage it, all youve done essentially is turn your lead channel up to 10. The difference between 8 and 10 on the knob isnt really going to be significant enough to notice.

Heres the bad news. There is no mod for this. 100 watts is all you have, with lead channel on 10 and boost on 10. My suggestion would be to put an eq in the loop with a frowny face to boost your mids and toggle the FX loop with the footswitch for solos.
      Last edited by Twitch; 09-16-2011, 11:16 PM.

Comment

If your amp has a series effects loop, put this in the loop. Problem solved...

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/mc401-boostline-driver
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Just use a volume pedal in the loop.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Just use a volume pedal in the loop.
            Unless its active and can add volume, hell still be essentially just adding another master volume and not gaining anything.

Comment

It's still better than using it in front of the amp where all the pedal will do is cut the gain at lower volume.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
              X