Greenbacks = <3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenbacks = <3

No pics, cuz a Marshall's a Marshall (I know - ), but I picked up a Marshall 1960BX cab today.

I traded my Orange and Avatar cabs in on it. I cannot begin to convey just how AWESOME Greenbacks are!! They made my amps totally wake up! It's almost the difference between going from Line 6 to realz tooobz maps! The amps I run through it (Mesa Mk IV, Splawn Competition, Metro Plexi w/Freidman BE/Sat/C45) sound NOTICEABLY better now. They are brighter, have much more musical mids, and the crunch is crunchier. This cab is 80's sound all the way - like Ratt 80's sound. I couldn't be happier...except that it has standard Marshall black grillcloth - I wish it had the checkered, but no biggie...it sounds AMAZING!

Greenbacks rule!!

I'd love to stick them in my Shiva combo, but I'm thinking it might be a bad idea to put a 25 watt speaker in an 80 watt amp. I'll probably replace the Classic 80 in it with a V30 or something like that - something to brighten it up just a bit. The CL80 is a pretty boring speaker - not much "character to it". Too bad there isn't a 60-watt Greenback!
    Last edited by chrisolson; 09-17-2011, 04:45 PM.

Have a Marshall 900 cab in my sights 75 watters in it AFAIK, hope we seal the deal here in a few days.
    Green backs are nice aren't they?
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Sweetest speaker I've ever heard, Rich! Good luck on the 900 - there are a pile of them on craigslist locally right now. There's also another 1960BX cab with the cloth I want, but I was able to do pretty well thru MGR here. I'll have to let that one go.

Comment

If the deal goes thru $250.00 is a good price IMO.Nice to have friends in the pawn business.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Great price.
          Worth $350 if I see them, back in the day it was $400 plus.

60 watt is kind of a non-issue.
          What you are hearing is those speakers being pushed into the right range for breakup.
          Look for some old G12M70's and you might "be there".
          Last edited by Cygnus X1; 09-17-2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

This cab made the other amps sound so good that the Shiva is going away. Let the Les Paul GAS begin!!

Comment

Greenbacks are great. All my cabs have either vintage greenback/blackbacks or are combo'd with G75's. Great tones there!!!

Comment

I agree, I've owned a few pretty good 800/75W cabs and I do like the 75s...but the AX and BX cabs are by far my favorite. Absolutely classic sound. I owned an old 72 metal handle cab which was awesome, but ended up losing it in hard times. I always wanted another so when I found a mint 1960AX for about $450 I jumped on it. Sounds awesome with my 4210. So much so that I hunted down a BX cab as well. Great, great sound.

Comment

I totally agree with and endorse this post.

Greenbacks for the M-Fin-Win for '80s high gain rock or metal tones. Much clearer, brighter, and crunchier than V30s or GT75s.

Comment

cab construction also may have a lot to do with it too. For Marshall amps I actually prefer the 75's (JCM800 1960A). Greenbacks are sweet speakers though.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                    X