Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JMP-1 owners! What replacement tubes have you installed in your unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMP-1 owners! What replacement tubes have you installed in your unit?

I need some new tubes and want some options and comments please?

I put two Tun Sol 12AX7 in their a it made the best diferece since I've owned it new. I LOVE my Marhshalls

second best was the Sovtek12AX7

Trailing far behind..and worth a shit se set of JJ 12AX7...the weakest of the group. The original tubes loaded in the Uberschall. I got TS in there except for the EF loop. I pulled 2 TS out to try in the Marshall. That was worth the bother. Best it ever sounded!

I'm running four 4X12" Marshall 1960B in steero w / 9200 w/8 5881s..this amp kills any amp around it. ...it is LOUD...painful..LOUD! I'll have the Uber all the way up with the mids cranked and you can NOT hear it next to the Marshall...period

* The Best thing is I don't need a noise gate..It's very controllable and fun to do old school. Very liberating. it'll hold any note for a week or two. The only I amp i owned that feels like theres a susataniac on it.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I wanna go to BillZ!

Never tried TS, hmmm, but I will recommend Sovtek.
      "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Sovtek pres came stock with this thing and sound great from day one. Then one of them went bad. I put in another sovtek but hotter version like a 12AX7WDX ..or something like that. That sounded a lil' better. In fact, there's not much difference in tone betweern the sovtek and tung sol. They're both hot, warm, smooth sounding tubes. I threw in some JJ' from my Uberschall and wow...did those suck balls...(very thin/weak/dead) .So, I really don't have use for JJ's whatsover. The two I do have is supporting my Bogner's Effect Loop. So I just got' those for that alone.

It really made my rig come alive man!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Interesting Bill.

I love the JJ's in my TSL100 head, but I have admittedly never tried either Tunsol or Sovtek. I have been through a stack of EH and various NOS tubes (RCA's, Mullard etc) I have and always come back to the JJ's. The JJ's just seem to break up nicely for metal in that amp.

Now I have never even tried swapping tubes in my JMP-1, I love the stock sound of it. I might try a few different things to see what it does.

BTW what 5881 tubes do you use in the 9200? I have been thinking of chaning mine and there aren't many choices because of the height issue. You seem to play similar music to me, so I wondered what you found worked in that.

Comment

I replaced the stock tubes in my jmp-1 with some American Nos GE tubes and it sounded.... the same.

Comment

The tubes in the JMP1 produce none of the distortion, all they do is warm up the signal path a bit. Go and read through any of the official Marshall literature on the JMP1 and nowhere does it refer to tube gain or drive, although it does talk about tone.

That's not to say it sounds bad, but it does mean tube changing produced marginal results.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommie View Post
                The tubes in the JMP1 produce none of the distortion, all they do is warm up the signal path a bit. Go and read through any of the official Marshall literature on the JMP1 and nowhere does it refer to tube gain or drive, although it does talk about tone.

That's not to say it sounds bad, but it does mean tube changing produced marginal results.
                That's a cut N' paste response. I've seen time and time again ..verbatim. Fuck Marshall literature. I call BULLSHIT!!! Changing preamp tube types make a world of difference, and the preamp doesn't operate for shit with a blown tube...period.

Comment

Brat..Tung Sol and the stock Sovteks sound pretty similair in both the Uber and Marshall. The Tong Sol seem to be a smidge hotter. Whatever the case..they both are much hotter and full bodied than the JJs. I pulled the JJ's out of the Uber because they sound anemic in comparison.

Comment

Same here. Tube changes did not make a discernable difference in sound to me, though I love the JMP-1.

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    I replaced the stock tubes in my jmp-1 with some American Nos GE tubes and it sounded.... the same.

Comment

I replaced mine with (never used but very old) Groove Tubes. Gave me a bit more gain, but lost some of the "tightness".

Comment

I just replaced the tubes in my Mesa Road King with Dougs Tubes tonekit preamp tubes (TungSol in V1) and then SED Winged power tubes. And boy did it change the amp. For the better! Many times over. I can't believe how good it sounds.
                        2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
                        Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Working...
                        X