Framus Cobra, any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framus Cobra, any good?

but seriously, Im curious about this one. Yes I have a Powerball, but short of a power tube swap, Im not totally happy with it. Seems thin live. I wont make a final judgement until I get a new set of power tubes in it (the same guy that took the lettering off the front put in a split set of Rubys and ARS tubes in it, whatever the fuck ARS brand is, never heard of them). Anyway, it sounds good at home but everywhere else, it seems to seriously lack body in "open" mode, even with mids at noon.

Anyways, as indecisive as I am, Ive been toying with the idea of a second decent amp. Since Ive already put the Kelly Pro on hold, the remaining money thats left might be used for another amp, instead of another guitar.

Ive compiled a list of the amps Id be looking at getting. Ive found one of each in the price range Ill have to spend. Not totally sold on this avenue, but Im definitely looking into it. The only thing is, I know the Cobras rep, but really had no experience with them, and I know how often they come available used, so its made the list. Is it worth the hype? Where does it stand with the following list?

Marshall JVM 410H $1100 used
    Carvin V3 $499 used
    Framus Cobra $1400 used
    Marshall 2203KK $899 used (I know theres no versatility here, its just bad ass)

GAS sucks, sucks even worse when you get some money to feed it and now you cant decide what on your wish list gets the green flag. Im kind of thinking however, that now that Ive got money and theres a Cobra available, I should make it a go.
    Last edited by Twitch; 09-26-2011, 08:27 PM.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

I've never played one, but I seem to recall some comments by Cliff on the Fractal Audio/Axe-Fx board where somebody mentioned the idea of modeling a Cobra. He said the Cobra is a blatant copy of a Rectifier and to use a Recto model instead. For what that's worth.

Comment

Wow, can you really find a JVM410H for $1,100? That sounds like a deal.

Comment

I think you'll like the Powerball more.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
          Wow, can you really find a JVM410H for $1,100? That sounds like a deal.
          Probably just shot my self in the foot, but here you go. Im probably not gonna go the Marshall route anyhow. http://www.musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=1093064

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
            I've never played one, but I seem to recall some comments by Cliff on the Fractal Audio/Axe-Fx board where somebody mentioned the idea of modeling a Cobra. He said the Cobra is a blatant copy of a Rectifier and to use a Recto model instead. For what that's worth.
            They don't sound alike to me at all. The gain structure is similar, though.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

It's funny I was just looking up the Cobra today and wondering the same thing. I always here about it and how its such a beast of a head but I couldn't find anyone that really endorsed them or used them regularly. What artists/bands use the Cobras?

I would love to get another Powerball for my home rig/as a backup head. More than likely I will end up with a 5150 or 6505 as my backup due to the price point.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                They don't sound alike to me at all. The gain structure is similar, though.
                Perhaps the circuit layout is the same....just some different cap/resistor values. I dunno. Just going on what Cliff said and he delves into these things rather deep to be able to digitally recreate schematics and so forth.

Comment

I got a Framus Dragon in a trade last week. It's been modded so it's basically a Cobra. It sounds good. I never thought about the connection to the Rectifier, but I've also never owned one or played one for extensive periods of time. I am, however, not using the Cobra myself. I'm sticking to my Engl rack setup with the band.

Comment

"Thin"..wow.

Twitch, I'd just bite the bullet and buy an Uberschall. It just doesn't sound thin no matter what you do. It's fat no matter what you do. I think it would be a keeper.

Also, try a a Peavey 3120 for shitz N gigs...I liked it. I'm sure there's used ones around. Those prices above are great. But, don't get the Marshall KK. Sounds like a JCM800 with a stomp in the front. That's not a bad thing..but fat it's not. The JVM is definitely the ballsier of the two. Nice low end for a Marshall. I like what I've heard of the Framus..but that goes for the Engl too.

You'd prolly could flip the KK quick because those fuckers are around 2500 new..
                    Last edited by horns666; 09-27-2011, 01:17 AM.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by snake_pearson View Post
                      It's funny I was just looking up the Cobra today and wondering the same thing. I always here about it and how its such a beast of a head but I couldn't find anyone that really endorsed them or used them regularly. What artists/bands use the Cobras?

I would love to get another Powerball for my home rig/as a backup head. More than likely I will end up with a 5150 or 6505 as my backup due to the price point.
                      I believe joel stroetzel or whatever from killswitch engage uses a cobra. I do like his tone if that's him im hearing and not the evh 5150 III
                      Last edited by TKEblue; 09-27-2011, 01:32 AM.
                      I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Uli Roth uses a Cobra with his old Marshall. One of the loudest shows I've been too.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Regarding the Rectifier vs. Cobra thing, they can be heard here:

Comment

that doesn't sound anything alike to me. I've bought the first series dual rect new around '91. I hated it then and hate it even more now. Others players sound great with it..but I truly HATE them.

I'd wish they'd have better players for those demos..tone is in the hands. The only thing similiar posted above are the hands.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Bill, Ive never been much for the Rectos either. IMO, they distort with the best of them, but the tone is dry to me. That pretty much leaves the V3, which Ive been kind of wanting since I bought the X100B I used to have. Its super cheap, may go that route. I guy had one at a gig a few weeks ago, it sounded great.

Comment

Working...
                              X