God Awful Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Awful Sound

I have had a problem with my 5150 for a while now.

I bought new tubes for it and it seemed that one of the preamp tubes was not making a good connection so I switched it out with an old tube. Problem solved for a while.
    Now I just fired her up today and am getting the same horrendous sound from the amp.

This time though the volume knob seemed to do nothing... turning it up or down or off did not make the volume change at all.

:think:

I have never had any luck with any of my amps since the day I got my first electric guitar... seriously think about selling it all for a Martin.

sigpic
    Action Jackson

Sounds like a bad filter cap. Not a bad fix.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Yup, bad cap. Shouldn't cost that much to fix. These things happen to older amps.
      You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

I think you must have put a flourescent light bulb in there instead of a tube. :think:

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
          I have had a problem with my 5150 for a while now.

I bought new tubes for it and it seemed that one of the preamp tubes was not making a good connection so I switched it out with an old tube. Problem solved for a while.
          I'll try logic from that and say the socket is dirty or the contacts need attention.
          Take it to a tech, or just try spraying a little Deoxit (or other non lubricating electrical contact cleaner...Zep is fine)
          on the tube pins and work it in-n-out a bit to clean it first.
          The cap is crying for help because it does not have the stuff it expects...

Comment

I guess it could still be a tube, now that Cyg jogged my memory. My JCM900 4100 made that noise at an ever increasing volume level over about 15 seconds before a tube failed and failed hard.

To Nimitz, clean those tube sockets like we recommended the last time you posted trouble with this amp. I remember the other thread now.

Comment

Cleaned the tube prongs as suggested and was rocking out everything going good pedals in the loop clean channel everything was good... switched to clean channel and no effects then switched back to OD and pedals and boom fucking horrid sound again.

Sucks assholes hard.

What exactly is the filter cap you are talking about twitch?
              Where can I find it in the amp and where can I buy one?

Thanks
              sigpic
              Action Jackson

Comment

If you have a spare 12ax7 that you know is good try swapping them for it one by one to see if it goes away. It sounds like the loop buffer tube may be on it's way if it's good on the clean with no effects on.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have many spare tubes... which one in the loop tube?
                  sigpic
                  Action Jackson

Comment

Initially, I thought this was going to be a thread for trying to get the tone/sound of a band called "God Awful".

Does sound like a 'cap' issue. Take it in if you are not technically inclined to do some repairs/soldering.

Oh, and that video clip: that's the sound Eddie Van Halen hears nowadays but it's in 'his' head and not his amp.

Comment

What exactly is the filter cap you are talking about twitch?

Thanks
                      Generally, theyre the big gigantic ones closest to the power supply section of the amp. The smallest Ive ever seen one is the size of a D battery, so you cant miss them. When working properly they keep the 60hz hum from the outlet out of you audio signal. When they dont work right, youll get loud, constant 60hz hum from your speakers.

Comment

Thanks Bud
                        sigpic
                        Action Jackson

Comment

When I power it up the Power Tubes Glow Blue... looks like they are going to explode in my face... THAT WOULD BE METAL!!!

:headbang:

Seriously looks like I have narrowed it down the middle Pre-Amp tube... the tube is fine the socket or something is fucked.

I have multiple tubes and have tested every slot.

Unfortunately I don't have cool friends that can fix stuff like this and I know the guys at the Guitar Shop will rip my eyeballs out... Just fucking frustrating.

Also Just checked the FUSE it has had a 30A fuse in there not a 5A like it says... FUCK!!!
                          Last edited by Nimitz; 10-22-2011, 01:31 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Action Jackson

Comment

Also Just checked the FUSE it has had a 30A fuse in there not a 5A like it says... FUCK!!!
                            Yeah, not having the right fuse in there is just asking for trouble and you my friend, have it. If it's the socket, that's not that hard of a fix. If you feel competent in your soldering you should be able to fix that youself.
                            You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

Working...
                            X