I want that tight mark IV tone. what to do. Here's my setup:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want that tight mark IV tone. what to do. Here's my setup:

Hello, im the owner of a mesa boogie dual recto solo head from the early 90's. one of the more accepted dual rec's.
    I have got a jackson soloist usa select with a tb-4 pickup in the bridge, from the 90s too.
    i do have a marshall 1960a cab with 2 x eminence the govenor
    and 2 x eminence the wizard. Thats a expensive setup. atleast in Denmark!

I often think too this and too that. i cant really work it out. i dont know if everything would change if i got a mesa boogie cab, but i mean my cab is way better. i cant get enough crunch, i need more of that tight chugga chugga sound. when i hear recordings with amps and setups just like mine, they sounds pretty fucking awesome, and nothing like mine.

can i get a more tight rounded tone with another pickup? as i can read on wikipedia, the tb-4 is a jazzblues pickup? hmmm
    Hope u can help.:idea:

The TB-4 is a distortion-class pickup, but it can do Jazz and Blues well if you're using an amp that doesn't really have a distortion channel.

What you're hearing in recordings is not just guitar into amp, but rather tons of post-production and Finalizer and Harmonizer and track layering and other studio tricks to make it sound better than it does in real life and to make it blend with the rest of the band.

My advice is to either get the Mk IV, get a Mesa cab, or work with your amp's EQ a bit more, and maybe add an EQ pedal or rack unit to shape the tone.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc is on it.
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

if you want good "chugga-chugga" from your amp, back off the gain and reduce excessive low end. you should be able to get better chugga from the recto than you could with a MKIV.

what are your settings?
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

and remember, chuggas are 3 steps above blues rock chatter in terms of distortion.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Your rig needs more Mark IV. I suggest adding a Mark V, it's one better.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
              and remember, chuggas are 3 steps above blues rock chatter in terms of distortion.
              Brilliant!

Comment

yep an eq in the loop is good idea, and dont forget an emg81, that will get you closer to what you want than anything else.

Comment

#1 - Try an EQ in the loop. #2 - Try an EQ in the loop. #3 - Report back with results. And everything Newc said is right on the mark..
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

You are not going to get a satisfying MK IV tone from a Recto. They are different animals with different voicing and structure. It's the sad truth. I had a Recto, and now have a MK IV. In all honesty, if you want to commit to it, get one. If you find the right trade/sale/buyer, you shouldn't have to shell out.

Comment

Also...you mentioned changing cabs. The recto cab is not really "tight" to my ears. MarshAll does that better - less volume/space in a Marshall cab. Maybe try some Greenbacks - but if you keep using the Recto, be cautious. One last thing - back your bass off into the under 12:00 zone, dial back your gain, and hit the Vintage channel with a boost/OD. Keep the gain low and the output high on the pedal. You might do a little better that way.

Comment

Originally posted by jakse View Post
                        as i can read on wikipedia, the tb-4 is a jazzblues pickup?
                        The JB was made for Jeff Beck, and that's what the JB stands for. The Jazzy/Bluesy thing was made up because Jeff wasn't getting any money for it. That pickup has a lot of treble and high mids, not something you would really consider for playing Jazz or Blues.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't gel with Rectos at all..I personally hate them. But I really get along with Boogie III and IV, and I'm sure i'd love the V if I ever tried one. A good amp to it's user shouldn't be alot of this and that. It really should be a fairly instant thing. Whenever I find an amp I click with..it really doesn't matter how I set the EQ..or what guitar I'm playing. This has been my rule of thumb for 35 years..

Any amp I plug in a try..first thing I do is the "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" intro..it has to be there instantly or it's shit to me. The recto is such an amp. I bought the first series brand new around '91. I worked with it for approx 2 years..when I painfully realized it had to go. I heard many other players sound amazing with them..but I can't gel with it at all. Too mushy, buzzy..not matter what I did...which was everything I could think of. I really wanted to love that amp at that time. I play one every once in a while just to see if we can be friends...nope!

Like myself, after much frustration realize.. it may not be the amp for you. It happens. You have a tone in your mind and hands. A good amp is to convey THAT sound the best it can. There is so many choices these days..just find your amp.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Treble boost in front of the amp should do it.

I always thought the Mark IV was a "loose" feeling amp. I could never get it as tight as say a XXX or the 5150. The uberschall felt tighter than the mark iv but lot bassier edging towards muddy tones.
                            Sam

Comment

Uber, 5150..XXX...love 'em. The Peavey 3120 kills too.

Also check Splawn, Engl, Framus..ect..Lot's of choices..
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X