NAD!!!! Peavey 5150II in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD!!!! Peavey 5150II in the house

Had several 5150's, some block letter, some later models... combo's and heads.
    The 5150II has 4 6L6's and 6.. yes count them.. 6 preamp tubes. Are you looking for gain?? Look no further. There is no amp that I have ever played through that has more gain than this amp. Channel 1 (Rhythm).. outstanding. From crystal clear clean with tons of headroom to any type of classic rock and when you hit the crunch button you could play any genre of music including death metal. You could use this one channel alone and cover just about anything.
    Channel 2 (Lead). Forget about it. More gain than any human could ever need. Tight, focused, organic. Its what an SLO should sound like (I have owned SLO's).
    External bias points on the back, a footswitchable very useable and user friendly effects loop, a footswitchable crunch setting (it boosts the gain) for the rhythm channel and typical 5150 build quality. Its built for touring the world with no road case.
    One gripe.. its a little hissy if you have the gain way up on the lead channel but since this amp has so much gain you would never need to get to that point so the point is mute. You could always add a noise gate.

how does that amp react if you put a 12AT7 or a 12AY7 in the preamp to reduce some of the over-the-top gain? i have played those amps and liked them overall but found there was WAY too much gain for my tastes and backing it off didn't help either. just wondering about slapping lower gain tubes in there....
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
      how does that amp react if you put a 12AT7 or a 12AY7 in the preamp to reduce some of the over-the-top gain? i have played those amps and liked them overall but found there was WAY too much gain for my tastes and backing it off didn't help either. just wondering about slapping lower gain tubes in there....
      Don't know about changing tubes. I would think you could reduce the hiss a little but considering how much gain is on tap, you could play most genre's of metal with the gain on 6 which is pretty darn quiet.
      As far as I am concerned.. the 5150 series of amps are outstanding bang for the buck for the gigging musician. I haven't heard a bad one in the bunch and regarding the clean tones, they are fine unless you are in a chickin pickin country band or a jazz quartet with a stand up bass!

Comment

I thought the 5150II / 6505+ had less gain then the 5150/6505? Not trying to argue, just trying to figure out what is truth before I order one. And I also read that they have essentially the same circuitry as the slo, and that the II and plus sound nasally? Is any of this true? Lol
        I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
          I thought the 5150II / 6505+ had less gain then the 5150/6505? Not trying to argue, just trying to figure out what is truth before I order one. And I also read that they have essentially the same circuitry as the slo, and that the II and plus sound nasally? Is any of this true? Lol
          I could answer all these questions
          The 5150II has more gain than the 5150 block or signature series. Its also smoother (less grainy) sounding.
          All the 5150's that I have ever played have a throaty overdriven Marshall sound with lots of bottom end. Very similar to the SLO tone. None of them sound nasal.
          I have heard that the 6505+ is better sounding than the 5150II. I wouldn't doubt it. They have been working on improving these amps since the beginning and that has been for quite a few years now.
          One thing to consider... the 5150 series of amps (and that includes all of them) are very reactive to speaker and speaker cab selection. They sound the best to my ears with Sheffield speakers. I use both Sheffield speakers and Celestion T75's. I don't think the 5150 sounds that great through V30's because V30's are grainy sounding to start with. They sizzle a little too much and when you throw a 5150 through them its almost like a chainsaw. T75's and Sheffields tame the savage beast.

Comment

6505+ = more usable gain without "mushing" up when maxed. I can't dime the gain of a 5150 (block/script/II) but I can with a 6505. I have a brand new one next to my Uberschall. As far as METAL tones..or "brootalz"..The Uber swallows it like a guppy..these are facts.

Yes, My son is disheartend, But we LOVE the 6505/5150 tho..

BUT we made a discovery with the 6505 that will get you closer to the low end of an Uberschall. I added two Peavey Black Widow PA cabs as extentions..WTF!!! Wow..Now I want to try them with my Marshall and Uber. Not that the Uber needs assist with any lows with a standard Marshall 1960A cab. But I can imagine. Definitely bass amp air territory pushing..not necessary..but there if desired.

I'll get back to you with this..
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

John..that's truly spot on IMO and experience as well. I do prefer the matching shefilelds/cab. I truly believe they're designed and tuned for that amp for optimal performance. They're more focused than any Celestion/cab combo I've tired. Tho, it does sound very good thru a Marshall 1960..

...and two Peavey 15" Black Widows...:think:
              Last edited by horns666; 10-03-2011, 01:55 PM.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

John please no NOT percieve my response as demeaning, or snobbish in any way. That is far from the case, as you know me. We both know our tools of the trade and have established credibility of decades of hands on experience. It's just that I've have these two specimens right next to me side by side. That really reveals alot..it's as blatant as can be. You know how I feel aboput 5150, that is established and you are absolutely correct on Peavey refining their #1 tried and true flagship amp of choice. The 6505+ is that. As far as massive usable, organic tube gain..it has o' plenty. But I've yet found anything rtemotely close to the Uber in that area. Not that the Uber is perfect..it is not. It really is a somewhat a one trick pony. Only in using it's gain/active EQ section. Very throaty low mids and low end..from AC/DC on 'roids to ..a fatter version of VH..Sabbath...to tones of bands Iced Earth..Nevermore..Arch Enemy..to Cannibal Corspe..and beyond.

The Uber IS the undefeated gain animal..or Gainimal..

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  John please no NOT percieve my response as demeaning, or snobbish in any way. That is far from the case, as you know me. We both know our tools of the trade and have established credibility of decades of hands on experience. It's just that I've have these two specimens right next to me side by side. That really reveals alot..it's as blatant as can be. You know how I feel aboput 5150, that is established and you are absolutely correct on Peavey refining their #1 tried and true flagship amp of choice. The 6505+ is that. As far as massive usable, organic tube gain..it has o' plenty. But I've yet found anything rtemotely close to the Uber in that area. Not that the Uber is perfect..it is not. It really is a somewhat a one trick pony. Only in using it's gain/active EQ section. Very throaty low mids and low end..from AC/DC on 'roids to ..a fatter version of VH..Sabbath...to tones of bands Iced Earth..Nevermore..Arch Enemy..to Cannibal Corspe..and beyond.

The Uber IS the undefeated gain animal..or Gainimal..
                  I agree. The Uber is king. The Diezel Herbert is close.. so is the Engl Savage. The Powerball rocks big too but its a little thin in the bottom. The Soldano SLO100 couldn't hold a candle to the Uber. Not nearly enough gain and ballzz. Regarding Bogner, I am partial to the Ecstacy 101B but I will always bow down to the greatest highest gain amp ever made.. The UBERSHALL.
                  The 5150, 6150 or whatever flavor inbetween is a great choice for a metal guitar player. A great combination for a 2 guitar metal band would be a Mesa Dual Rectifier on the left side and a Peavey 5150 series on the right. Both of them playing through Marshall 1960A and B cabs loaded with X pattern Sheffield's and T75's. That would the the ultimate BROOTALZZZ budget live rig.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    I agree. The Uber is king. The Diezel Herbert is close.. so is the Engl Savage. The Powerball rocks big too but its a little thin in the bottom. The Soldano SLO100 couldn't hold a candle to the Uber. Not nearly enough gain and ballzz. Regarding Bogner, I am partial to the Ecstacy 101B but I will always bow down to the greatest highest gain amp ever made.. The UBERSHALL.
                    The 5150, 6150 or whatever flavor inbetween is a great choice for a metal guitar player. A great combination for a 2 guitar metal band would be a Mesa Dual Rectifier on the left side and a Peavey 5150 series on the right. Both of them playing through Marshall 1960A and B cabs loaded with X pattern Sheffield's and T75's. That would the the ultimate BROOTALZZZ budget live

..rig.

This is scripture worthy. So it is written...so let it be done!!

Congrats, again John. We will never tire of music and it's toys. Both works of art! When that enthusiam dies..so will we.

Why do I sound like James Lipton all of a sudden..??:think:

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      Why do I sound like James Lipton all of a sudden..??:think:
                      the guy that makes soup?
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

BTW, this is all good reading. I love reading about gear. I probably will never own tons of the gear I read about, but I still like to read about it and learn.
                        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

5150 fan here too. I got a block letter - ooh wait, I think I got it from you, ha ha!

My cab is a Soldano w/ V30s, so I've always had it in the back of my mind to find the correct cab with Sheffields - as per Bill's suggestion, and now yours. I will bring this closer to the top of my gear to do list now.

Also

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                          so the point is mute.
                          moot
                          Last edited by RacerX; 10-03-2011, 08:06 PM.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                            moot
                            I was going to correct that one earlier but I wanted to see if you ever came in the amp forum.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I'm noticing a lot of it'sing around here lately also!
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X