No announcement yet.

Solid State Combo Amp Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If its strictly a practice amp, any modeler is probably your best bet. Especially in an apartment. Line 6, roland cubes, vox valvetronix, any of these are perfect for that. Even a pod 2.0 with some computer speakers. Any tube amp is gonna be too much in an apartment.
    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I picked up a vypyr 75 on ebay for stupid cheap. It'll get the job done until I get a bigger place. The thing sounds surprisingly good and it was 150 bucks, and it isn't broken like the amp I had been playing on, haha. I'll be looking to spend a considerably larger amount of money next year on a REAL amp.
      Last edited by groverj3; 10-13-2011, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Marshall Valvestate
        It's pronounced soops

Comment

As an update, there was a Carvin SX300 at the local guitar center. So, I traded in the Peavey for it. Happier now, it even has an effects loop. Solid amp for the whole 50 bucks I paid after the trade in. Now, to save for a nice tube head.

Comment

Go Marshall, dude. My 2c.

Comment

Ok, my quest for decent low volume gear continues. After about a week with the SX300 it started picking up radio stations and hissing really bad even at low volumes. Plus the volume would randomly cut out. So, it was returned to GC for a full refund.

I may go the rack processor route. The only issue with this is it will likely cost me about the same as a decent tube amp head. Which was going to be my next purchase anyway. I'll do some more brainstorming.

Currently I brought up the Crate 212 combo I had at my parents' house. It actually sounds halfway decent. It lacks an effects loop though.

Comment

Working...
              X