Peavey Backstage Makeover "Practice Amp"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Backstage Makeover "Practice Amp"

Found this old Peavey last month in a storage barn for $15.00. It was begging someone for a bath and makeover.

After getting it home and taking a closer look, it was a gold mine for spiders and other 8 leg looking creatures.

After giving the cabinet and control panel a strong bath with Clorox and liquid laundry detergent it was time to repaint.

I could do no justice for the reverb unit by washing it off so why not paint it also. Before: and now after:

The original wooden plate that held the speaker in place crumbled with each touch because it was so rotten so, a new one had to be cut out. I pulled the control panel out from it's case and give each pot a through spraying with contact cleaner. The plastic grill cloth also got a bath and a fresh new coat of colorplace spray paint.

After sanding & painting the new speaker cutout I attached the grill cloth to the sides with a staple gun and then attached the aluminum sides with small screws. I then attached the 8 chrome corner covers after taking scotch brite and Mean Green cleaner to them. I reinstalled the newly painted handle on the top of the cab for the finally!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for viewing.
    I put most psychiatrists on the couch.

Thats a damn nice job! what is that stuff you painted it with?
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
      Thats a damn nice job! what is that stuff you painted it with?
      Thanks, It is dupicolor truck bed coating, sort of like the rhino liner stuff they spray in truck beds to make you a bed liner from scratch. It is a little weaker, but is tough as nails when hardened. It drys to the touch in about 7-8 minutes. I used just one coat on the cabinet since it don't take much to cover an area. You can get it at Advance or Auto Zone auto parts for around $10.00 a can. I use it on a lot of plastics.
      Last edited by Dr loomis; 10-04-2011, 10:27 PM.

Comment

That's nuts!

I remember those, lol. Not half bad actually.

Comment

Looks much better now Doc.Great job how does it sound after cleaning the pots?
          I had a backstage + and really liked it.
          Peavey makes killer little amps.
          Last edited by straycat; 10-05-2011, 04:10 AM.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

so you probably got $25 or so into it now?? great little amp for $25. I played one of those ones A VERY LONG time ago. They were decent little amps for noodling around with. its a damn nice restoration.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Nice work. Local resale shops in my area always have a selection of Peaveys from this era. My early and poor years of playing I survived off of Peavey. I sorta wish I still had one of my dual speaker studio chorus models. They were good for home/dorm use.

Comment

Some of the older Peavey stuff is pure gold. I had a Bravo 112, pure gold. I also have an old Envoy 110 that was converted to a head. Im considering rack mounting the chassis and running it into a power amp to use outside of the house. I like the tone that much(consider that I have a Powerball as well). To me, its got that early 90s layered Mesa Rec sound that you can never get out of a damn Rec series amp(at least I never can). Its only 40 watts SS though, so by its self, its not loud enough for rehearsal and most gigs.
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Thanks, for reminding me! Yea, I have an old peavey 110 also in good shape, it was my first amp that I ever bought back in 2001 at a pawn shop. I was disappointed at first because I couldn't find the distortion on it. I went like 2 weeks until I pulled out on and turned one of the knobs to kick in the distortion. If i remember right this amp has a searing early pantera solid state type of distortion. A tone like I never heard before. I know I couldn't play it in the house with the distortion on, cause it was too loud, I had to buy processors and run them through the clean channel. This backstage has a raw ride the lightning tone now that I changed the speaker plate to a solid piece of pine wood. I will get the 110 out of the closet today and post some pictures of it later today. I may just have to blow the cobwebs out of it and it just might get a fresh coat of paint.
                  Last edited by Dr loomis; 10-08-2011, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Nice job on the restoration. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                      Some of the older Peavey stuff is pure gold. I had a Bravo 112, pure gold. I also have an old Envoy 110 that was converted to a head. Im considering rack mounting the chassis and running it into a power amp to use outside of the house. I like the tone that much(consider that I have a Powerball as well). To me, its got that early 90s layered Mesa Rec sound that you can never get out of a damn Rec series amp(at least I never can). Its only 40 watts SS though, so by its self, its not loud enough for rehearsal and most gigs.
                      Yo there Twitch here is the pictures of the Peavey Envoy 110 that I have.

Dug it out of the closet today and hooked it up for the 1st time in 5 years and wow I see what you mean. The old Peaveys blow my mg series marshall away.

Comment

Yup, thats the one. Wait til you ever get the chance to hook it into a 412 cab.
                        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Working...
                        X