New Old Amp Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Old Amp Day

Sooo, I traded a couple of things off to get my Randall V2 back so the other guitarist in my band can use it since his Egnaters broken and the Randall RH200SC is acting weird.

I get home and I go to get it dialed back in the way I had it before. I just got done playing on it for about 15 min., and Im starting to think Im going crazy. Im half tempted to have him use the Powerball tomorrow night.

I got he V2 dialed into the No More Tears tone(by pure happenstance). Im fuckin blown away. The palm mutes, the pinch harmonics, even the power chords rooted off the A string, straight up nails the tone. It fucking beautiful. I know the ENGL cant do that. It doesnt have that low mid growl, and I think the V2 could give the Powerball a run for its money in the chest thumping dept. too.

I cant wait to get the two side by side tomorrow afternoon before the show.I may not have been far off base when I had this thing the first time when I made the comparison between it and the PB. Now I own both, and Im here to tell you, Im torn. The PB destroys it in available distortion, but man it doesnt growl like the V2.

Maybe tomorrow I can get the PB dialed in close to the V2 in the PBs focused mode, that would be cool.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

25 views and no replies. You guys think Im nuts. How could you ever compare a Randall tube/SS hybrid to an ENGL? I told you I thought I was going crazy, but seriously, it holds its own. Did I mention that I own both?

Comment

Nah, we don't think you're nuts

just a little ADD when it comes to amps
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Ill agree. But not any more so than Chrisolson. Im not planning on getting rid of the PB though. I think theyll be a nice compliment to each other.

Comment

Why not get an A/B box and run both??
          You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

I'm running a Hughes&Kettner TriAmp MKII with a Marshall AFD100 thru two 4x12s and they sound amazing together. If I really was limited I have run off of one cab but sounds better thru two!!

Comment

Originally posted by SixstringKing View Post
              Why not get an A/B box and run both??
              Well for the time being, one will be used by each guitarist in my band until he gets a new one or one of his other ones fixed. After that, perhaps. That is one thing the Randall hands down kills the PB is the clean channel. My main cab is set up stereo in an X pattern, so Id have no problem just stacking the heads and using one cab. That might piss the sound guy off though having to use 2 mics on my rig. Thats fine though. The one sound guy we deal with often is kind of rude and called my PB "a piece of trash" in comparison to a Marshall DSL100. I laughed inside, then got offended. What a douche.

Comment

Well after A/B-ing them together last night for about an hour, the ENGL whoops the V2 ass almost everywhere except punch and versatility, and the tone isnt a land slide, just different. So really, I guess I just prefer the the tone of the ENGL, but I really like the V2 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                  25 views and no replies. You guys think Im nuts. How could you ever compare a Randall tube/SS hybrid to an ENGL? I told you I thought I was going crazy, but seriously, it holds its own. Did I mention that I own both?
                  Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                  Well after A/B-ing them together last night for about an hour, the ENGL whoops the V2 ass almost everywhere except punch and versatility, and the tone isnt a land slide, just different. So really, I guess I just prefer the the tone of the ENGL, but I really like the V2 as well.
                  No, you're not nuts, you just can't make up your mind like the rest of us! No, that's not it at all, there'll never be a one amp does all. Modeling amps try but fall short because of the amps own individual characteristics it's trying to recreate and you can't do that digitally.

So now face the facts that now you'll want to run both!

Comment

Also, there seem to be some nice tones in the V2 you cant play with without a noise gate. Ill be looking into a G string here soon. The bright and loose setting make it hard to control feedback wise, but when actually playing it sounds killer with those settings engaged, but the instant you stop, hearing damage. Thats another major plus to the PB, built in noise gate. I dont remember how I managed the V2 the first time I had it.

Comment

Working...
                    X