your opinions plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your opinions plz

i dont play bass, but acquired one a little while back and wanted to pick up an amp, this is the 1st good used amp ive seen in a while.
    anyway just looking for some info on the mesa v12 bass amp,i was looking in L&M and came across one for $899 cad, and was wondering if anyone dabbles with bases around here and knew about the tone(i just know ampeg is good...) and if 899 was a good price for these(i know they were around 2k new). thanks.

hmm no one knows anything about them? oh well, i just called them and told them to put it away for me going to be picking it upin the next few.

Comment

Hope it's cool.
      Don't ask me!
      I use a Kustom Commander guitar amp for bass.
      Sounds great IMO.

Used to play an Ampeg V4, but was another time altogether, eons ago.

Comment

Fender bassman is the only bass amp I have played on so I can't say.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Boogie makes great and reliable bass amps. Is it Titan v12 ? That thing has a very ballsy sound.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

ampeg1.jpg
            sigpic
            Action Jackson

Comment

Bass amps..owned, played, traded, sold countless.

Ampegs ..had everything from B-15 to a 1975 SVT stack to a SVT II stack..the latter over-priced.

My ALL-time faves were Carvin Red-eye stacks, and many of their older Pro series. You can NOT go wrong with ANY Carvin bass amp..period. These are facts.

As far as something inexpensive "bang for the buck". I've been VERY impressed with the new Acoustic bass amps..surprsingly. They're a blast to play..and at guitar center to try.

Peavey is a tried and true workhorse for anyone that needs a well built, reliable amp NOW..there's a plenty for sale. Go with a TNT, you can always add one of many extension cabs if needed.

Carvins have the best bass speakers on the market reguardless of money. Once upon a moon they had a deal with EV. The old EV pro-lines are bulletproof. They were expensive as hell. I know, I bought a couple back in the day for a couple of portable homemade TKL cabs. Carvin lost their deal with EV but that was actually a good thing because they copied their design and even improved on the originals..you can't blow the fuckers. So, if anything, get Carvin bass cabs..they have the most punch and clarity than anything I've had.

I bought a pair of Hartke brand new when they came out. Man, I so wanted to love them. Many of my favorite players were using them, but even they switched in a hurry. They sound amazing in the studio..but they are anemic even at moderate levels. I blew a 15" in a 1-15 XL cab , and one of my 10"s in my 4-10 XL while bi-amped with my first and last GK 800RB..Flea used them..Stu Hamm..Will Lee of David Letterman's band. Love the way they looked back in the day..but fuck thos fuggin' fuckers!

Features..built-in compressor, and graphic, parametric, along with your normal tone controls are pretty standard with Carvins and many Peaveys.

But most important. Make sure to keep new-ish strings on your bass. Most bass players I know don't change their strings and sound like dead ass no matter what gear they have. Fresh strings on bass is everything IMO!!!

Happy shoppin'..
              Last edited by horns666; 11-04-2011, 04:17 AM.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

bro. I love the sound of new strings like you do but there are many players who don't want that, they love the sound of dead strings. Some even play with greasy hands to quickly kill the strings and get that dull muted sound.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                X