Noise Gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise Gate

I want to nip this feedback issue in the ass once and for all.

My PB already has a very good noise gate in it. Very transparent, but not quite effective at loud volumes.

Heres my question; ISP Decimator or Decimator G String?

Since I already have the built in gate on the input of the PB, would I gain anything by throwing a Decimator in the loop or would I still have issues because the built in gate doesnt clamp down tight enough on the guitar? Im kind of thinking this would be the case, but the G String is much more expensive and I cant seem to find one used, whereas I can find the Decimator all day long used.

I know I coudnt lose with the G String, but like I said, finding one Ive got the dough for at the moment is proving difficult. Ive gotta do something quick, this feedback issue has gotten old and very frustrating.

I could always built a momentary kill switch pedal I guess, but I really dig doing very little more than playing my damn guitar. Im a guitarist, not a tap dancer.

Also, opinions on the MXR Smartgate? Is there a significant amount of tone suckage from this gate? How effective is it at high volumes? Will it kill my clean channel?
    Last edited by Twitch; 11-02-2011, 06:20 AM.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

I use a BOSS NS2 in the front and a Decimator in the loop. I use this on my mesa road king and my splawn QR. done deal. end of noise.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Mmm yeah you'd look great in G-string, especially on stage, i'd slip a few twenty's in that!
      USA Jackson RR1
      Charvel Model 6
      Jackson Performer-2
      Orange Dark Terror
      EVH 5150 LBX
      Hello Senòr

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
        Also, opinions on the MXR Smartgate? Is there a significant amount of tone suckage from this gate? How effective is it at high volumes? Will it kill my clean channel?
        I've got a Smartgate and a Boss NS2. I think the Smartgate is better, and it sucks less tone.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i am using a rocktron HUSH super C in my rack. i have it running between my GP-8 (which replaced my stomp boxes) and the front of the amp. i am using the noise suppressor in my loop multi-efx for the return. the super C is pretty nice, but it the way i have it set, it kills ALL feedback - even the "good" kind. oh well, it keeps the rig quiet and tight.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Well, I just picked up an MXR Noise Clamp. I tried it in the store and its very sensitive and the best I could tell sucks no tone. Im going to put it through its paces tonight and Ill give it a review here. Heres a link http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m195-noise-clamp The one thing I forgot to try in the store was whether it killed notes on the clean channel. Ill find out later this afternoon.

Comment

ISP Decimator G string or Prorack G. Turn off the gate built in to your amp. What makes the G-string the best choice is it gates the front end and the loop, but all based off the signal coming from your guitar. When it is set right your rig will be dead silent when you are not playing. They are expensive no doubt, but they are built to pro standards and are the best in the game at doing what they do.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Well, it fails. At the volume I need the amp at, even in the loop it doesnt cut it off. I get the same feedback. In order for it to kill it I have to have it set so tight that it starts to kill notes or doesnt fully release if I dont hit the string hard enough. Im kind of starting to get pissed. This amp has a great sound, but if I cant play on the channel I want to play on and not have to battle with this feedback, it my go bye bye. I really want to like it, but I simply cant have this feedback issue. Whats the point of having the extra gain if I cant use it? The low lead channel is ok but doesnt have the bass punch the Hi Lead channel has. Seems like Im damned if I do, damned if I dont.

After this, Im not sure I wont be wasting my money on the G String too. I understand its the best, but I wont buy one unless I can try it first.
                Last edited by Twitch; 11-02-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Ok gents, try this on for size. Three feet in front of the amp, volume set to loud as fuck, facing the amp or back to it, the gate works like a charm, and at acceptable threshold settings. Six feet away, fuckin forget it. WTF? Any ideas what would cause this? Are the electromagnetic fields that great that they reach out 6 feet but Im in the dead area between them at 3 feet? Or, is it the angle of the speakers to the guitar? Standing closer increases the angle while standing farther away decreases it? I dont get it, I can stand right in front of it with it that loud, play a chord, quickly mute the strings, instantly silent, but I cant do that farther away where you would figure you would have a better chance of pulling that off.

Maybe I can ground the mesh of the face plate and block some of the EM radiation.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                    volume set to loud as fuck,.
                    where does that fall in relation to "11" on the volume scale?

and Ozzy says Zakk plays "louder than fucking satan" so map this out for us.
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Ironically, I don't require a noise gate on the loudest amp I ever owned..my Marshall rig.

Everything else..yep!
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                        where does that fall in relation to "11" on the volume scale?

and Ozzy says Zakk plays "louder than fucking satan" so map this out for us.
                        Loud as fuck is when you ask yourself why you would ever have it up that loud and you think to yourself after the first chord, "fuck! thats loud!" and then you feel that warm feeling inside. Unfortunately, I have to turn it up that loud at rehearsal and most gigs. So my tests must be done at that level. Just short of "loud as fuck" the built in noise gate does fine, but apparently there is a hard line there.

Comment

I played a Powerball for years and never had any feedback issues using an ISP Decimator pedal right in front of the amp. However, I used the low lead channel more often than the high lead because it had a tighter response. I don't recall any feedback issues or issues with the Decimator cutting off notes.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric View Post
                            I played a Powerball for years and never had any feedback issues using an ISP Decimator pedal right in front of the amp. However, I used the low lead channel more often than the high lead because it had a tighter response. I don't recall any feedback issues or issues with the Decimator cutting off notes.
                            I dont have issues with the lo lead channel. I primarily prefer the hi lead because of the bass, but its the channel Im having issues with.

Comment

I use a Drawmer DS 201 in my main rack. Awesome with no tone loss as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X