Recommendations for an overdrive pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for an overdrive pedal

My pedalboard is almost complete, except for an overdrive/boost pedal. There are so many options in the market right now and don't know where to start. [I] can spend up to $150. My rig right now consist of:

Randall RM 22 with Blackface and Mr Scary modules
    Port City 1x12 os cab with VGS Veteran 30 speaker
    Pedalboard: TC Electronics Polytune, Keeley Compressor, TC Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb, ElectroHarmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazari

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Just throw in a tubescreamer or get an EQ pedal to boost it
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I have to use a boost with my Marshall and lol a metalzone has done the trick nicely for me for many years. Lately the Boss SD1 has done it too. Both are cheap and IMO sound great.

Comment

still dig my Bad Monkey, to tighten things up and add a little grit. Volume cranked, gain down. Having a two knob EQ on the BM is nice too.

Or my MI Audio Boost'n'Buff, if I want pure boost. It also acts as a line buffer when it's turned off.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Boss SD-1

Cheap and works great

Comment

Marshall Guv'nor pedal is killer!

Comment

Forgot to mention that I the pedal needs to be true bypass.

Comment

Originally posted by Econ View Post
                Whatever "clone" of Boss SD-1/Ibanez Tubescreamer with a true bypass will do the job. Or mod one of these to true bypass.
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by Econ View Post

Why?

Comment

so his tone doesn't get muddled up, of course!!!
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                      so his tone doesn't get muddled up, of course!!!
                      Boss puts a very good buffer circuit in their pedals that makes them extremely transparent. I have a/b'd them with true bypass versions and its almost impossible to tell the difference. Especially if you are using the pedal to add drive or gain to a high gain signal.

Comment

Fulltone fulldrive 2
                        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

There's way too many options. I like it simple and easily replacable. I llike a very super smooth overdrive. I want to pick up something for my Bogner that makes it more player freindly. It just doesn't grab harmonic like my Marshall does. So I need something for that. I don't care about losing lows or highs because I have much more on tap from the amp. So far I found the Bodd sd-1 less grainly than the Ts-9. I loved the long discontinued Korg Hyper distortion..that one was my favorite.

I absolutely love the Wampler Eruption clip..that's the best stand alone stomp example I've seen! But that dude can play which makes all the difference in the world.

Glen Drover used a Sd-1 in front of John's rack and he nailed his tone in seconds. We're very similar in playing style and I loved the way Glen milks notes during solos..very very smooth.

Does anyone agree with this comparison. I think Hellbat mentioned that the Boss was a tad smoother.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The boss is a little flatter than the tubescreamer. Less humpy in the mids. The hardcore metal guys like the tubescreamers because it adds back the mids that their amps scoop out.

IMO the SD-1 is a better match with mid-emphasis amps like Marshall's, Splawns, Etc.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I use two pedals depending on what I want to accomplish. I use the Fulltone OCD and the Retro-Sonic 808. Both are high end pedals with true bypass and sound great. The 808 is a Tubescreamer clone but better. The OCD has more gain and was meant to specifically boost Marshalls. They're both in the $160ish range.
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X