Humbucker with Best Strat Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker with Best Strat Tone

Which humbucker produces the best Strat tone? I'm not referring to stacked HB's designed to sound like a Strat, but the ones with side-by-side coils. I just picked up an Air Norton and have a FRED on the way. Maybe I'll pick up a Mo' Joe, too.

Opinions?

TIA

I've got Dimarzio Humbuckers From Hell in my SL2H, which I believe are supposed to be strat-like. Don't have anything to compare with, though, but they're certainly very bright.
    My other signature says something funny

Comment

If you are willing to live with true single coil characteristics, the Duncan p-rails will give fairly stratty tones when split to the rail. Plus it has a p-90 as well. They are a heck of a great pickup if you want a massive variety of tones from the same guitar. It makes a nice humbucker too. I actually only have experience with the 'hot' version so ymmv with the regular.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have a Dimarzio PAF pro w TBX treble boost for the bridge and standard fender pups for middle (Never used) and neck in my '95 Floyd Rose Classic Strat. Very bright, and "straty". I had a 70's pre CBS 3 bolt with stock pups and an 80's strat with Lace Sensors (quieter). The most un-strat sounding of the bunch was a Japan Fender HRR w/OFR and a Dimarzio XN2..great for metal. Not stratish at all. I regret getting rid of it..much heavier sounding than my USA.

I gotta say, I don't recall huge differences between the 70's or 80's strat. I think my USA FRC is bar far the brightest and twangy, with the most bite. That one sounds great with the darker sounding Bogner. It's a little noisy moving around under lights and such...especially with the Marshall. So that's assigned to the Bogner.

OHH I forgot I had a HS2 in the bridge of a Red '82 strat..mark that one with the 70's & 80's ones above..but it had a bit more ooomp. Also, in my SD III I have a fast track and chopper. Not very stratty tho..both seem kinda warm in walnut w/ maple top.

I got the strat thing covered well with my awesome FRC. That one is a keeper for life. Now All I need is a Les Paul..waht does GAS stand for again. Whatever it is..that's what I have for a LP. I'm gonna buy one. I like Rudy's Black Sykes look-alike!! That thing has been in my head since he posted a pic of it. I want that! Oh, Chris just posted a shitload of droolers too..damn!! BF'N Bang posted nice clips of his faded cherry studio. He went on a Gibby binge too. But I always lusted cherry/tobacco sunburst or the timeless black or white tux. I was never into the goldtop thing..they're awesome in their own way. But gold doesn't touch me in that naughty place...like Goldmember. BUT, to get back on topic I played several Goldtops with P90s and those are the closest stratish tones I found with a LP. Call me Count Fagula, but I always wanted a natural Korina Moderne..I love those odd Edsels since a kid. I met Al Romano of Sun Red Sun years ago and I played his..while it was still warm and gooey. I became one with that fugly bastard!! I think he was impressed because he liked me more after that. I sat with it, and it felt fuggin' perfect!

I was disappointed with the first series PRS CE 22 with 5 way switch. I have tapes playing it and it was noisy in 4th and 2nd posistions. They are great guitars..not for me. I bought it new around '91.

I really think maple boards make all the difference in the world for a classic "strat" tone...or what I percieve it sounds like. It's very alive and bright, and the only with maple.

OK bye..gotta poop. (really)

Billz
        Last edited by horns666; 11-08-2011, 02:48 AM.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

@Cliff: I'll have to look into HB's from Hell.

@Hellbat: I have an SHPR-1. The single coil pup didn't seem that "Stratty" to me. I was planning on trying it in the neck position on different guitars at some point.

@Horns666: +1 Maple boards are the best IMO for blues and rock/metal. Wish Jackson had more offerings with MB's.

Comment

I have a buddy with a strat with a Duncan hot rails in the bridge and it sounds damn good. you can get metal tones, great rock tone.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

i have had good results using a di'marzio humbucker-from-hell or a PAF pro.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Why not use a humbucker for a humbucker tone and a single for a single coil tone?

Comment

I believe the Pearly Gates is the one Fender recommends.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Why not use a humbucker for a humbucker tone and a single for a single coil tone?
                    I've done this. The single isn't noise cancelling and I like to go from a heavily distorted bridge tone to a decent Strat tone without changing anything on my amp.

Lots of great suggestions. I might have to pick up a Pearly Gates and PAF Pro.

I've bought about 15 quality pups in the last year. Singles don't seem to be that complicated. I bought a pair of Area 58's from a JCF member last year and they sound incredible. Bet a lot of vintage stacked singles would work in the neck as well. I know what I like in the bridge position, too--so now it's time to do the same for guitars with neck HB's.

Comment

I use the duncan Custom with a split. I get little to no noise with it. My guitar is shielded like crazy-Lou
                      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Fralin Unbucker. One coil has more winding and gives more of a true single coil sound when tapped. Not tapped it sounds more Strat like to me than other humbuckers. I've read that Fralin hum buckers are more Strat toned and I would say this is true for the Unbucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Chavelfan View Post
                          Fralin Unbucker. One coil has more winding and gives more of a true single coil sound when tapped. Not tapped it sounds more Strat like to me than other humbuckers. I've read that Fralin hum buckers are more Strat toned and I would say this is true for the Unbucker.
                          Never heard of this. Thanks!

Comment

I have a GMW strat with a JB in the bridge that can be split. works nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                              I believe the Pearly Gates is the one Fender recommends.
                              ^^This.

Comment

Working...
                              X