TC Electronic G-Major 1st model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC Electronic G-Major 1st model

Any good? Comments? Could get one in a trade and I'm wondering...
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Good cheap version of the G-Force, but I thought the build quality was absolute shit. Mine had bits of plastic that attach the top and bottom plates togther rattling about inside.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I've got one myself. The effects are pretty good for the price, but be aware that the big buttons will fail eventually, so be sure to only use them when you really need to Also, a guy who rents out music equipment on a big scale told me the display will melt from direct sun light. If you plan on using it with a high gain amp, half the effects will be rendered useless as you can only have it before or after the gain stage.

Comment

Absoluitely...more than anything I'll ever need in an FX ..the noise gate is great with my Uber and VERY required! Actually as good and "tweakable' these effects are. My JFX-1 really blows it outta the water for actual, common guitar effects. Delays, reverbs, chorus, flange only. But what it lacks in tweakness and features, it really makes up for it in sound. I think it's the secret weaopn in my Marshall rack. I hooked up the G-Major to my Marshall rig and it sounded ..ummmmm it didn't sound right at all!

I was thinking of buying a JFX-1 for my Bogner but I would definitely need a noise gate, and a tuner. Because I use the G- Majors tuner constantly.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Oh..Wilks,Javert is absolutely right about the big knobs man. Mine slip right passed shit when I'm trying to dial something in. I try NOT to use those. But once it's set..it is pretty set and forget for me.

My complaint is there is too much tweakage. I like things simple like pedals that are made for one thing only..guitar.
          Last edited by horns666; 11-14-2011, 01:30 PM.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the reply. Not sure yet about the trade. Would rather get the $$$ as I don't really need another piece of gear... Decisions...
            JB aka BenoA

Comment

I have an older G-Major and they sound good. Even better though is the G-Force, I picked up a used one during the summer for a good price and recently started running it through the loop on my Uber. I haven't tweaked any settings in it as there are actuallya few chorus, reverb, delay, flange, and phaser factory settings that sound fantastic as is! But back to the G-Major, its a good multi effects unit for relatively cheap. Used ones can be had for $200 or a bit less sometimes.
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

The G-Force is waaaay overpriced here, but I don't know if that's the case too in North America. Considering that the G-Force is from '98, I would only get one if the price is really, really low. A lot has happened in terms of processors, ram, etc. since '98.

Comment

I like mine, I don't use a ton of FX, though. In fact, I use the gate on a dirt channel most of the time, the FX are for cleans. The amp switch is cool too, helps minimize tap dancing.

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                    The G-Force is waaaay overpriced here, but I don't know if that's the case too in North America. Considering that the G-Force is from '98, I would only get one if the price is really, really low. A lot has happened in terms of processors, ram, etc. since '98.
                    I know both the G-Major and G-Force are several years old but they still sound good. Especially the G-Force. The only stuff I can think of that is in the same league or higher are Eventide, Ax Fx and the like. But those units even used are much pricier and much more involved programming wise. If you get a good deal on the G-Major its worth considering.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                      I know both the G-Major and G-Force are several years old but they still sound good. Especially the G-Force. The only stuff I can think of that is in the same league or higher are Eventide, Ax Fx and the like. But those units even used are much pricier and much more involved programming wise. If you get a good deal on the G-Major its worth considering.
                      I'm not saying they're not good units, only that they're already quite old and that's something to keep in mind. I've seen people wanting $800 or more for used G-Forces here and that's too much, IMO. Like I wrote in an earlier reply, I've got a G-Major too and I'm quite happy with it.

Comment

Trade is a no go... Thanks for all the replies guys.

Anyway, I managed to get some $$$ instead... Mini Recto is getting closer
                        JB aka BenoA

Comment

I would skip on the Gmajor and go with the GMajor2. TC eliminated those terrible knobs in V2 which makes tweaking much easier. I hear the G-Force has better effects but unless you're doing studio work, no one would notice the difference if you're playing live. I had (well, still have) the Gmajor and I currently use live my gMajor2.

joe...
                          www.godwentpunk.com
                          www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Great sound but the build quality is sketchy. You have to be careful with it if you play live or you tweak alot.
                            I had one and had no problems with it but many guys have had problems with the large data knob. Its a weak spot.

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
                              I would skip on the Gmajor and go with the GMajor2. TC eliminated those terrible knobs in V2 which makes tweaking much easier. I hear the G-Force has better effects but unless you're doing studio work, no one would notice the difference if you're playing live. I had (well, still have) the Gmajor and I currently use live my gMajor2.
                              A lot of the effects have been updated too.

Comment

Working...
                              X