Mini Rectifier in da house!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Rectifier in da house!

So I got my Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier today. Very good deal and quick shipping from http://www.theguitarshop.ca/

Brand new unopened box:

I barely played with it. Only a few minutes. Went through the different options very quickly and spent 95% of those few minutes on the distortion channel.

Tried it with 2 guitars: my EBMM JP6 and a Godin LG Summit with a 59' in the bridge. 4x12 cab was a Peavey Triple XXX.

On the distortion channel, I dig both the modern and vintage option. The vintage one does the classic rock/80s sound very well.

The modern adds more meat to it but not to the extreme (to my ears).

I have no experience with Mesa amps, this one is my first but I do play ocasionnaly on a beat-up Single Rectifier at the rehearsal room we rent every 2 weeks.

The Mini Mesa is tight and dry, doesn't feel "greasy" like my Peavey 6505. It has less gain too than the 6505 and less fizz/buzzing that you can hear in the 6505 distortion.

Does the Mini Recto has enough gain? For me yes, I was mostly setting it around 1 to 3 o'clock and I haven't tried it boosted with a Tube screamer but I bet some players out there will prefer their Mini Recto boosted for that added gain. But as I only played it at low volume, may be cranking it will give it even more oomph. BTW, this lil' amp is quite loud (wife told me so ). Even on the 10 watts setting. And flipping the switch to 25 watts shows that it got some volume to spare! I will add to my report once I will have tried it with a drummer, I hope to be able by next week (having some band mates schedule issues these days).

I could add that this "10/25 watts" all-tube amp over a 4x12 is way too loud to be enjoyed playing at what folks on the internet call "tv volume"... The Mini Recto wants to be cranked!

Back to playing the Mini Recto, when you hit chords, you can hear all notes clearly and I notice that it shows my "less-than-good" technique on fast runs! This amp doesn't forgive! It's also very dynamic. Play softly or roll your volume on your guitar to get some "lesser" distorted tone on the modern/vintage channel. Good job Mesa!

Speaking of tone, the knobs offers a good control of the EQ on both channel.

Construction: the amp feels very very well built. Fit and finish is top notch and when you pull the handle, the amp feels balanced.

The carrying bag is a nice add-on. Made a joke to the wife that it's not a "Gucci" but worth as much!

Had a long day, I'm tired... No video/audio clip done yet... Sorry. Haven't tried the footswitch, the FX loop or even the clean/boosted channel (just a few seconds to see if it was working).

And if I compare it to some "made in China" offers from other companies out there (I played a few), the Mini Recto is worth the 1000$ I paid for it. And it's made in the USA.

More to come, I promise.

Feel free to ask questions, I'll do my best.

Rock on!
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Congrats! Let's hear some clips.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Cool, congrats! And, yes, let's hear some clips.

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
        The carrying bag is a nice add-on. Made a joke to the wife that it's not a "Gucci" but worth as much!
        That comment will cost you eventually--lol. Glad you pulled the trigger on this amp. Can't imagine anyone better to demo it!

Comment

Are we a crazy specie or what? :think:

Saw your posts after getting up this morning! What a better way to wake up the kids??? Plugged the guitar straight into the Mini Recto... Pushed the record button on the camera and boom!

Not perfect (sounds a bit boxy with the camera mic) but gives an idea... Will do something better in the coming days if I can find some spare time. For your infos: guitar was a EBMM JP6, cab Peavey Triple XXX 4x12 and I'm rolling the volume toward the end of the video to show how dynamic is the amp.

PS cheating some bandwith from the office to upload this!

JB aka BenoA

Comment

Nice, sounds like a slick little amp!

Comment

can it do double stop bends?
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

And the blues rock chatter?
                I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                  can it do double stop bends?
                  Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                  And the blues rock chatter?
                  :think: It depends on the player...
                  JB aka BenoA

Comment

I will own one........... in the future when the novelty has worn off and they are easily found on the used market. I like the concept and they dont sound bad to me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                      I will own one...........
                      Make sure it does double stop bends before buying it...

(sorry, I could not resist)
                      JB aka BenoA

Comment

"whattaya think eh?"

"sounds like a british new wave band"

Comment

Been playing this amp for the past hour on the vintage channel mostly. It rocks!

Quick noodling clip... How does this sound guys? :think:

Quick "noodling" clip of my new Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier. Cab: Peavey Triple XXX 4x12. Guitar: Music Man JP6 Settings (all o'clock) Gain: 2 - Treble: 3- Mid: 11 - Bass: 1 - Master: 7-8 - Distorted
                          JB aka BenoA

Comment

Nice, sounds like a Boogie!

Comment

Judging by the clip is sounds alot more like the Stiletto than a Rectifier.

Comment

Working...
                              X