No announcement yet.

Mini Rectifier in da house!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, after a few weeks... whats the verdict?

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      So, after a few weeks... whats the verdict?
      Except not having enough time to play with it... Here are some of my observations:

1- 4x12 cab + 10 watts mode on modern channel = too loud for basement fun (ask the wife about it!)

2- FX loop works perfectly with Boss GT8 (4 cable method) Seems well balanced regarding input/output volumes and you have a hard bypass switch in the back for purist.

3- Clean channel is real nice and takes pedals quite well. Splitted humbucker position on the EBMM JP6 + some reverb sounds very good to my ears.

4- Pushed mode and Vintage mode with a Tube Screamer = many good tones there! The "vintage" mode with a Tube Screamer gives a similar "boosted Marshall kinda tone". Add a lil' reverb to it (I tried it with my Boss GT8) and it almost sounds brown. I don't regret getting rid of my Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe to get this amp.

5- You get good tones out of all the modes but some may not like the fact that you can't go from "clean" to "pushed" (clean channel) or "vintage" to "modern" on the distorted channel. I bet this will be a common mod in a near future.

6- Haven't tried it out yet with a band, but will do on Thursday evening and will report back.

7- Mesa service = good. I sent an email and got a good reply to my questions.

Honeymoon phase is not over yet... I'll keep you posted.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Rehearsal canceled at the last minute... Singers!

Luckily, I have another band, but I'll have to wait until next week to test it out...
        JB aka BenoA

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
          Rehearsal canceled at the last minute... Singers!

Luckily, I have another band, but I'll have to wait until next week to test it out...
          Practice without his lazy ass. Dont need a singer to jam.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
            Practice without his lazy ass. Dont need a singer to jam.
            Exactly! But with this band, every time someone can't make it, they cancel the rehearsal... This is why it's good to have two band...
            JB aka BenoA

Comment

Hey! I bought my Recto from The Guitar Shop!
              I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                Exactly! But with this band, every time someone can't make it, they cancel the rehearsal... This is why it's good to have two band...

Or just do it all yourself like I do. Sadly my band just broke up, I had irreconcilable differences with.....myself. :-)
                2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
                Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Originally posted by Animus View Post
                  I had irreconcilable differences with.....myself. :-)
                  I hear the make-up sex is great
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                    Hey! I bought my Recto from The Guitar Shop!
                    Brent rocks! He seems like a nice guy. Got quick email replies, he even sent me a pick of my "un-opened" box to confirm my order before I paid him via paypal. Shipping was also real quick.
                    JB aka BenoA

Comment

Outstanding JB!
                      Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Sorry to bump up my post but I just wanted to report that I finaly tried my Mini with a band last evening.

I can confirm that, on top of a 4x12, it's loud enough for your regular bass+drums+guitar+singer rock quartet! No issues there.

I had brought a tube screamer with me in case I would have liked a lil' more gain but the Mini provided enough without having to cranck the gain knob past 2 o'clock.

Even on 10 watts, on the "modern" mode, it is quite loud when you cranck the volume. I does start to "compress" a bit too much to my taste but it is surprisingly loud.

As for the clean channel (I'm not a big user) stayed clean and would cut through the mix without a problem. Again, just roll the volume up!

And if you are like me and like your clean a lil' bit dirty, the "Pushed" mode does magic. Just switch to a single coil and roll your guitar volume to clean it up. Voilà!

Sadly, the cab I was using was a beat-up Fender 4x12 and it would bring the "fizzin' bees" a lil' bit compared to my Peavey TripleX cabs. I have a rehearsal this coming week with my other band and I'll be able to test it with a Mesa 4x12. Should be even more fun! I can feel some GAS for a Mesa 2x12 in the future!

So yes, that mini head can do the job with a band, except if you are in a very loud metal outfit... In that case I'd suggest to keep your 100 watts as your main weapon of choice.

For me, the 6505 remains in the arsenal, the Mini will just be my "go-to-easy-to-log-around" amp of choice. 12 pounds and cute carrying bag makes it very portable.

BTW, one thing that I did find funny was that I'm so used to play with loud amps (Marshall DSL/Peavey 6505), so having to roll the amp's volume around 1 to 2 o'clock felt weird. I know this is stupid, but yes, I felt "unusual".
                        Last edited by BenoA; 12-17-2011, 11:33 AM. Reason: typo
                        JB aka BenoA

Comment

Working...
                        X