ENGL Powerball vs. ENGL Invader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENGL Powerball vs. ENGL Invader

Not looking for which is better, looking for a comparison that someone who may own both can give. I figure if anyone owns both its probably Grim. Im thinking I may own both here soon. If I can keep the money hidden from the wife this time.

The Invader seems to be the only other model thats close in features to the PB. Im sure the SE has what I want too, but price is way too much.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
    Im sure the SE has what I want too, but price is way too much.
    I used to play an SE regularly, and I must say, in my opinion, it is THE amp to own. If you see yourself owning both a PB & an Invader, I say just wait and save for a Savage SE.

Of course no help concerning your question, just some thought.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
      I used to play an SE regularly, and I must say, in my opinion, it is THE amp to own. If you see yourself owning both a PB & an Invader, I say just wait and save for a Savage SE.

Of course no help concerning your question, just some thought.
      I already own the PB. Also I was talking about the ENGL Special Edition, not the ENGL Savage SE.

Comment

Ah, well double fail on my part. Unless.......

Have you considered a Savage??
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
          Ah, well double fail on my part. Unless.......

Have you considered a Savage??
          I checked out the Savages features. It lacks the Depth Punch feature,noise gate and "open" EQ setting/channel(the Invader has a dedicated OPEN channel whereas the PB has an OPEN setting with its own mid knob) and I kind of get the idea its more of a medium gain amp by ENGLs standards. I love the ridiculous amount of preamp saturation the PB and Invader have.

Comment

the savage has a good heavy sound, but it is more like my rivera M/S amps. it is not like the newer engl's with the crazy preamp gain.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

How would these stack up against my first series Uberschall. When I run a TS-9 in the front..it reminds me of the Engl tones I've heard...like later Jeff Loomis. Because that's the sound I go for.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Loomis uses the invader. 'nuff said...
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  How would these stack up against my first series Uberschall. When I run a TS-9 in the front..it reminds me of the Engl tones I've heard...like later Jeff Loomis. Because that's the sound I go for.
                  Ive got limited experience with the Uber Bill, but Ive played through one enough to know the differences in tone and punch are subtle, to my ears anyhow. The PB and the Invader have the potential to be far more universal compared to the Uber. The Uber as great as it is, does one thing only, but it does it to the highest caliber. The Uber does have a little more punch. I cant comment on the Ubers clean channel though.

If faced with the decision Uber or PB, Id have to think long and hard about it.
                  Last edited by Twitch; 11-30-2011, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                    Loomis uses the invader. 'nuff said...
                    I dont have any experience with Jeff Loomis. Maybe I should go and check him out, but you make a persuasive argument. Im pretty much sold on the idea of the purchase, I just want to make sure its going to be close or better to the PB as Im totally loving the PBs tone. My concern with purchasing the Invader is what do I do if I dont like it. I wouldnt be able to turn it quickly in this area without taking a big loss on it. Were but humble farmers and factory workers(or unemployed period) in this area. Its all trades and lowball offers or trades that are lowball offers. I just couldnt move a $2800 amp in this market and not have my asshole hurt afterwards.

Comment

Here you go. Guitar into tubescreamer into Engl...

Jeff Loomis shreds "Jato Unit" from his album 'Zero Order Phase" on his 7 string Schecter guitar and EMG 707 pickups. Buy these EMG pickups here: http://www...

The sound is crappy in this one, but this makes me feel inadequate well enough...

For more clips visit http://www.metalinjection.net/tvJeff Loomis of Nevermore clinic for Schecter guitars, NAMM 2007
                      Last edited by Hellbat; 12-01-2011, 11:25 AM.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                        Not looking for which is better, looking for a comparison that someone who may own both can give. I figure if anyone owns both its probably Grim. Im thinking I may own both here soon. If I can keep the money hidden from the wife this time.

The Invader seems to be the only other model thats close in features to the PB. Im sure the SE has what I want too, but price is way too much.
                        I've owned the PB, Savage 120, and Special Edition EL34. I've played the Invader 100 several times, and just don't like that amp. The SE is my favorite by a wide margin. The Savage would be my #2. My main gripe with the PB and newer PBII version, is that they both have undersized, output transformers. They are not the same full-size 100W output transformers as found in the Special Edition and Savage. Thus, the PBs aren't as loud. Which is fine if you're only going to use the amp at home or in small clubs. The Invader was just too flat sounding, and didn't have that modern gained-out voicing the other Engls share. The Invader channel 3 was the only one I sort of liked, but more for hard rock, than metal. Between the PB and Invader, I prefer the the PB by a wide-margin. More the sort of tone I prefer.

Comment

Thanks for that review Wizard.

Comment

Yes, very interesting for me to hear as well...

Comment

Id like to add, I dont have any volume issues with volume with the PB and the trannys in it arent any smaller than those in a JCM900, and we all know how f'n loud one of those can be.

Comment

Working...
                              X