iPhone/iPad guitar interface anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone/iPad guitar interface anyone?

There is a few affordable ones on the market, like the iRig, Amplink and the expensive one like the iJam...

So what do you have or tried? Any preference?

I'm just tempted to get one as a practice tool.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

I have the iRig and the Jam interfaces. The iRig is okay but very prone to feedback even at fairly low gain settings. I think it's just the nature of how it is a passive device that goes through the headphone/mic input on the iPad. It's especially bad through the Peavey/ampkit software with the higher gain amps.

The Jam interface plugs into the 40 pin interface and has it's own AD converters powered by the iPad itself. It doesn't suffer from the same issues with feedback. It has adjustable gain with an led clipping indicator to help you set the right levels. As far as weaknesses, since it plugs into the 40 pin interface, you can't run the device from an adapter or charge it while using the interface. Also the iRig software will not recognize it so you can only use it with ampkit or garageband.

I haven't tried the Peavey interface which kind of sits in between these two in features. It's powered by batteries and has an adjustable gain control, but plugs in through the headphone/mic input.

For sound quality to me the Jam is the clear winner of the two that I have.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks Hellbat for the detailed replied!

Going to keep practicing with my Boss MicroBR!!!
      JB aka BenoA

Comment

I'm not up on the latest and greatest when it comes to these things. I just know that there were a couple free apps for my iphone so (Fender and Marshall based amps) so I downloaded those then bought the iRig for $39.00 so I could use my iphone in a pinch. Seems to work through headphones and I have not had feedback issues. but then again these free apps don't have heavy distortion sounds on them either.
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Neither of the two products will turn your iPhone/iPad into an axe-fx or anything that's for sure. The iRig will do the job for sure and it can be found at good prices, but the Jam is a better product.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Not hoping to turn it my iPhone into an Axe-FX, just looking for something to practice. But I think I'll keep using my Boss Micro BR for this.
            JB aka BenoA

Comment

Are there any android versions of this? LOL

Comment

I heard that that Android needs some kind of update in the way it handles audio before being able to run such appz. But I may be all wrong. It's just something I read a while back before buying my phone.
                JB aka BenoA

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  Neither of the two products will turn your iPhone/iPad into an axe-fx or anything that's for sure. The iRig will do the job for sure and it can be found at good prices, but the Jam is a better product.
                  I realize neither is going to be an Axe Fx, LOL. Still its nice to have something on my phone that I can plug into in a pinch and using headphones just noodle around. While on the subject, are there any other amps/effects out there that can be downloaded for free on the iPhone that I should know about?
                  Thanks.

Rudy
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

I think the Ampkit/Peavey software can be downloaded and they give you the 3120 and Valveking models, a 4x12, and a couple of stomps for free and then they nickel and dime you for the rest. I did find the modelling on the ampkit software to be a little better than the Amplitube software.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                      I realize neither is going to be an Axe Fx, LOL. Still its nice to have something on my phone that I can plug into in a pinch and using headphones just noodle around.
                      +1 Same for me.
                      JB aka BenoA

Comment

The iRig will do this fine JB.

Even without an interface, the best thing you can get yourself as a guitarist that has an iOS device is Agile's Guitar toolkit. Full chord/scale/arpeggio reference. The reverse chord lookup is awesome too. There are a lot of chords I play where I have no idea what they are called. I can tap out the notes on a virtual fingerboard and the app tells me what the chord is and the it shows me what other chords are related. It's a really awesome app IMO.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Nice! Thanks Hellbat. The iRig is sold around 29$ around here. I'll see how low it goes after Xmas.
                          JB aka BenoA

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll have to look into the free Peavey stuff
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                              The reverse chord lookup is awesome too. There are a lot of chords I play where I have no idea what they are called. I can tap out the notes on a virtual fingerboard and the app tells me what the chord is and the it shows me what other chords are related. It's a really awesome app IMO.
                              That sounds cool as hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X