Best guitar FX rack for use with amp loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best guitar FX rack for use with amp loop

OK, I let Rudy have the JFX-1, so I'm looking for something similar, but with a more elaborate, if not more intuitive front panel. I don't need an FX unit that takes a guitar input (so the GX700 is a no), just something to put in the loop. Not interested in reverbs, not specifically anyway, just flange, chorus and delay with an easy way to select, edit and save. Suggestions please.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

G-Major?
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I use a super simple Lexicon MX200. Sounds good with every amp I've had.

Comment

Never liked the TC G-Major. Shit build quality too. I used to own one. I will check out the Lexicon though.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

You love your GT-8 or 10 or whatever, why not look into a GT pro?
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I don't want any preamps, just effects. I just looked at the MX200 and the front panel doesn't have any LCD for patch names/editing parameters. The best I can do for now is put the GT-10 in the Marshall's loop, take off the preamp and distortion, and just hope it doesn't sound shit.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Rocktron Intellifex has never let me down!

Comment

Rocktron Xpression?

(intelllifex will not have the heavy modulation fx like flanger/phaser/wah)

I'm using an old MPX G2
                though it's connected 4 cable-mode, I hardly/never use the preamp section, but I'll admit that I'm your opposite and look more towards ambience fx than modulation
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

My first choice is the Axe, second choice TC Electronics G Force
                  CURRENT GEAR SET UP
                  2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
                  1989 JACKSON KING V
                  1984 JACKSON RR
                  AXE FX II
                  MESA BOOGIE 2:90
                  DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
                  FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
                  (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
                  (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

Originally posted by KINGSFAN View Post
                    My first choice is the Axe, second choice TC Electronics G Force
                    Agreed, however there is a major price difference between the Axe Fx and G-Force even on the used market. The G-Force sounds good through the loop of my Uberschall and I've even found a few factory presets that basically needed nothing. The G-Major is cool too but the knobs are a bit flimsy, you have to treat it gingerly. I'm waiting on a $2 encoder wheel to arrive to replace a missing one from a used G-Major I have.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Wilkinsi, you can just turn off the amp modeling in most of the units, including Boss's. What's wrong with doing that with the GT-10? I used to use my GT Pro that way.

Comment

The G-Foce, while a good unit for its time, is ancient and way overpriced. The knobs on the G-Major 2 are better than on the old one and there's some new effects in it as well.

Comment

Just use the GT-10 with the four cable method. Effectively turns your amps' preamp section into a stompbox that you can toggle and place anywhere in your effects chain. I've been using this setup live with my Mesa Stiletto Duece for a few months, sounds great. The cabling can be a pain, so I just ordered a pedalsnake to simplify load-in and load-out.
                          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                            The G-Foce, while a good unit for its time, is ancient and way overpriced. The knobs on the G-Major 2 are better than on the old one and there's some new effects in it as well.
                            The G-Force while ancient still sounds great and I'm not aware of anything in its price range that is as good. Next up would be Eventide but they are expensive as well and tend to be even more complicated than a G-Force. I picked up my G-Force last year used but in mint shape for $550. Used is the way to go! If you buy new you're looking at $1200ish!
                            As for the G-Major2, yeah it has a couple additions over the G-Major but its still basically the same sounds. If you're careful with the original G-Major its still a good unit for guitar and they are starting to drop under $200.00 used now which makes them a good deal. I haven't messed with the Intellifex but most users seem to like them and they're reasonably priced used as well. You may notice a trend, I'm all for ancient effects processors as long as they sound good and can be obtained fairly cheap
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Eventide Eclipse. Will be selling one in fact. I just got a Eventide H8000. Best. Effects. Ever.
                              Last edited by Animus; 12-22-2011, 02:26 AM.
                              2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
                              Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Working...
                              X