Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any opinions on the Mesa Boogie Mark V ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any opinions on the Mesa Boogie Mark V ?????

So who has had some experience with the Mesa Mark V??? I am interested in them and have been selling some stuff to generate some funds to get one. I want to know what people think of them in the real world. How is the tone? the features? the reliability? any details or experiences would be helpful! thanks!

Lets hear it!
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

I traded mine for a Diezel Herbert, but let me tell you that I really liked the Mark V (I still don't know which I like more). In a few years time it will be a classic IMHO. Very versatile, so many options and different sounds. Well built too. If you like the Mark series then this amp won't disappoint you.

Ignore the corksniffers who compare the Mark V to a IIC+ or IV. Those sounds are in there, but it will never be 100% accurate because of all the options etc. Besides, how many have heard a IIC+ in real life anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I have always wanted a Mark series amp, and was always on the lookout for a nice used Mark IV...... but the Mark V is just more intruiging now. And yes, I am well aware of the corksniffers The mark IIC mode on the Mark V is certainly something I would like to try. the reviews I have read all say it does it really well, and of course its never going to be EXACT. I like the versatility of it. I like 3 or 4 channel amps too. I just like having the various sounds ready to go at the click of a switch. Sure, I can sit and use pedals and twist knobs with a one channel amp and get lots of great tones, but I like the 3 chan thing. I love my roadking, its a great amp. it took me along time to tweak and find MY tone on each channel, but it was fun and well worth the time as the tones are just great. I have had it 10 years now, and still enjoy it. I still goof around tweaking, changing tube modes, pentode/triode, bold/spongy, preamp voicings, the possibilities are virtually limitless. its alot of fun. and I see that in the Mark V, it has alot of options to keep me busy.

anyone else had any experience with the Mark V??

Comment

I have messed around with one in the store, so not ideal conditions, etc., but they are obviously a very nice mid to high end priced amp. As many Mesa's do, it has tons of variable features so it gives you a lot of range for the buck.

Reliability is top of the line with Mesa. I have a Roadster combo and it is flawless in construction and quality of parts, etc. If you do need their service, or just have a question on the amp itself, they are quick to answer the phone.
        Jackson KV2
        Jackson KE1T
        Jackson KE1F
        Jackson SL1

Comment

I really like mine! You can get some great tones out of it. It is excellent for recording, bedroom volumes, and to me it just sounds better and better as you turn it up.

Comment

Seems like a tweekers amp to me. One of the guys at GC helped me take a test drive with a Mark V they had on the floor and I didn't find a tone that really impressed me. On the other hand I was blown away by the Road King. Mesa makes great amps, but they do take some time to setup and of course the price is high.

Comment

Mark series amps aren't an amp that you find great tones with in a quick demo setting. You really have to spend time with them to get the goods. That said, my MK 4 was one of the best sounding amps I've ever owned, hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                If you do need their service, or just have a question on the amp itself, they are quick to answer the phone.
                this is what makes me a loyal customer to them. I have had some warranty issues with my mesa products, and they have been nothing short of awesome in the customer service dept. that is worth a ton to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                  Seems like a tweekers amp to me.
                  that is why I want one. I love tweaking amps. I have a roadking and its a tweakers amp for sure. lots of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                    Mark series amps aren't an amp that you find great tones with in a quick demo setting. You really have to spend time with them to get the goods. That said, my MK 4 was one of the best sounding amps I've ever owned, hands down.
                    I think that is true of any mesa amp. you have to spend some time and coax YOUR tone out of it. they arent plug and play amps. you need to spend some time with them. for me, that is alot of the fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                      Seems like a tweekers amp to me.
                      Should be able to get a good deal on one then. Tweekers usually sell their gear cheap to get more meth.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                        I think that is true of any mesa amp. you have to spend some time and coax YOUR tone out of it. they arent plug and play amps. you need to spend some time with them. for me, that is alot of the fun.
                        Agreed, but the Mark 4 has SOOOOOooooo many options - 3 channels, the EQ, Class A - A/B, pentode/triode, tweed/full, etc... Then tubes... Push/pull pots... Having had a number of Mesas, yeah, they are finicky to dial in, but the Mk 4 is truly complex. Rectos are a pain just cuz one day I like the tone, and hate it the next. Really inconsistent.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                          Agreed, but the Mark 4 has SOOOOOooooo many options - 3 channels, the EQ, Class A - A/B, pentode/triode, tweed/full, etc... Then tubes... Push/pull pots... Having had a number of Mesas, yeah, they are finicky to dial in, but the Mk 4 is truly complex. Rectos are a pain just cuz one day I like the tone, and hate it the next. Really inconsistent.
                          yes sir. the mark IV and V are more complex than most. they have the EQ in there as well. lots of options.

Comment

this is the best amp you will own, its not hard to get your tone at all. you cant get a bad tone with this amp, there are alot of options as with all mesas, but once you get going its very intuitive, plusthey give you alot of "suggested" tones that you can quickly get to where you want from. these vids of JP were pretty helpful as well..
                            John Petrucci discusses the philosophy behind his Mark V settings and demonstrates the tones used in Dream Theater. Recorded in Petaluma, CA at Mesa/Boogie -...

John Petrucci discusses the philosophy behind his Mark Five settings and demonstrates the tones used in Dream Theater. Recorded in Petaluma, CA at Mesa/Boogi...

the cleans are those perfect fender cleans, gritty marshall is in there, when you get to the heavy stuff its pretty close to my roadster(its a little tighter and less woofy), but then you can push it further with the mIV mode to that super sizzle grind, and if its not enough distortion(it will be)it takes my ts808 well, although i dont use it. its dead silent, barely any noise, you dont need a noise gate till you get the volume past half way. it has all that saggy spongy shit so you can recreate some oldschool tones although i never use it. i dono its like having 9 amps in one, and it does all 9 tones perfectly, its easily my best amp and i have a few good ones, id recommend it +10 to anyone. i know im gushing, but if you can spend an hour with it turning all the dials and you will understand. btw check this out if you have the choice id go with the v30 > the c90 unfortunately i have the c90's but plan on getting some v30 after watching this.
                            The Mesa/Boogie Mark V can be ordered with either the stock Celestion C90 (Black Shadow) speaker, or with a Celestion Vintage 30. These speakers have quite a...

Comment

Saying "this is the best ap you will own" is certainly a bit strong. It is a nice amp, but I am (personally, as an example) still undecided if I like it enough to keep.

If you like the Petrucci's tone on as on the first video you will be fine with the Mark V. If that particular buzz/hump in the mid/lower-upper harmonic distortion bugs you (like it does me), you might find it hard to dial it right. And it is not even the EQ, this seems to be the way the distortion happens on this amp.

I bought the Mark V to replace my Mark IV. After one year, the Mark IV is still here and not going anywhere. It is true that the Mark IV sound is "in" the Mark V. But only partially, and coloured differently. Also less clear and with this particular buzz added. It is not a large difference, but enough to keep you wondering "what the..." while you play. I find Mark IV a bit more 3d, musical and complex on the lead channel (this is all I'm using it for).

Having said that, the best amp I personally owned to day is the VHT. I find I turn it on 90% of the time, and every time I'm as amazed as the first time. The second is the Soldano.
                              Last edited by akoch; 01-08-2012, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X