Here I go again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here I go again...

Had a number of amps on my mind lately...none of them cheap. The latest was a Bogner Uberschall, but that deal isn't happening now, and in all honesty, I really didn't want to trade away my Skull WDM guitar all that badly for an amp I wouldn't get to play until it got here.

My fellow partner in crime gear whore pal that gets me and my credit card in trouble showed me the Kemper profiler amp. $1850, and looks like something in my nephew's toy box. Super cool concept, but a ton of cash to lay out on something I've never played or heard.

Sat and thought about it a bit. I have a JCM800 that I was waiting to mod, basically into something like a Friedman HBE or a Jose HG. Thought about it some more...it would be fun to have a gain monster like an Uberschall or VH4 too...

Got another Axe-Fx on the way and couldn't be happier! My gear ho bro is pretty jazzed about it too - he sold me my first one...well...he found it and bought it so I could buy it from him. He's got the Axe-Fx 2, so I think it will be really interesting to put them head to head on a similar setting.

Can't wait!

About time for something new in 2012, its already January 5th for crying out loud.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

disappointed. Thought this thread was Whitesnake related....
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
        About time for something new in 2012, its already January 5th for crying out loud.
        Lol...good one. Ya got me!

There will have to be a little "out" with the in - likely a Les Paul and a road warrior JCM800.

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        disappointed. Thought this thread was Whitesnake related....
        I'll dial up a kick-ass Sykes tone, fair?

Comment

Sorry to hear the Uber deal isn't going to happen. Its a great amp! OTOH you're going to get to play with an Axe Fx and an Axe Fx II and thats not bad. I have an Axe Fx Ultra and have no plans to dump it. I'm sure the Axe Fx II is great but for the amount these things cost I'm keeping my Ultra. As for Whitesnake, well I'm about to convert my Uberschall into a Revision white, does that count? I have a white Bogner headshell with metal front grill that I'm going to swap for the black one, hence Revision White
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
            Sorry to hear the Uber deal isn't going to happen. Its a great amp! OTOH you're going to get to play with an Axe Fx and an Axe Fx II and thats not bad. I have an Axe Fx Ultra and have no plans to dump it. I'm sure the Axe Fx II is great but for the amount these things cost I'm keeping my Ultra. As for Whitesnake, well I'm about to convert my Uberschall into a Revision white, does that count? I have a white Bogner headshell with metal front grill that I'm going to swap for the black one, hence Revision White
            I think there's an Uber on the AxeFx if I remember right...

I had a Axe Standard about a year ago. Very cool, but it was the only piece of gear I had, and I was CONSTANTLY dicking with it! Foolishly sold it, but I think I made a little on it, and I'm getting the Axe Ultra for what I sold my Standard for. I was think Axe 2, but year, for almost $1K more than a used Ultra, I'm JUST FINE with the Ultra.

Should be fun, and the seller has already shipped it out!

Need pics of that Uber when you get it updated...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
              I'll dial up a kick-ass Sykes tone, fair?
              *sigh* fair enough, Chris. Do you have an amp that you could do that with?
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                I think there's an Uber on the AxeFx if I remember right...

I had a Axe Standard about a year ago. Very cool, but it was the only piece of gear I had, and I was CONSTANTLY dicking with it! Foolishly sold it, but I think I made a little on it, and I'm getting the Axe Ultra for what I sold my Standard for. I was think Axe 2, but year, for almost $1K more than a used Ultra, I'm JUST FINE with the Ultra.

Should be fun, and the seller has already shipped it out!

Need pics of that Uber when you get it updated...
                I haven't messed much with my Ultra. It sounds great but I haven't had time to tweak. I will definetly post some pix of my Uber Revision White when I get it done. It sort of started several months back when I bought a used 4x12 Uberkab in white. So then I picked up a matching headshell so that I could have a white 1/2 stack
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  *sigh* fair enough, Chris. Do you have an amp that you could do that with?
                  I *had* a Mesa Mk 4 that was pretty close. My Friedman/Metro is close to the "Slide It In" days, but maybe it little too hot & smooth.

Comment

Got it fired up today.

GOOD GAWD I FORGOT HOW GOOD THESE THINGS SOUND!!!

The really high gain models are pretty damn fun to fiddle with too. The Ultra sems to have a few more bells & whistles than the Standard did too.

Comment

UPDATE:

I hooked this thing up to a stereo power amp, and have it going through a Marshall 425a cab. HUGE. This thing just continues to blow my mind in terms of the depth of the sound and the overall quality of it. I put it head to head with my Friedman modded Metro with Brown Eye and SAT, and the Axe was better. That's saying something. That's saying so much in fact that I got on the waiting list for the Axe 2.

Once that arrives, l'll sell the Friedman and my Splawn Competition. Tubes are fun, but when a processor sounds this good, why bother with all the hardware? The Axe is like Beano for amp whores.

Comment

I know how you feel and I only have a "ghetto" 11 Rack with the update. I still gas for an axefx
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Nothing ghetto about the 11R!! I still miss mine quite a bit. I would love to hear that sucker with the upgrade...

Might have a trade in the works - we'll see!

Comment

Working...
                          X