Peavey 6505 gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 6505 gurus

I was playing my 6505+ and suddenly it started humming like a bastard. I can play and not hear it until the strings of the guitar start dampening. I hear it only when out of standby mode whether anything is in the input jack or not. Any ideas what would cause this? Sometimes it is there as soon as I turn on the amp and other times it comes after playing for about 5 minutes.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Does it sound OK while playing?

OK, I re-read your prob. Hmmm most of the time it's tube related of course. . Try tapping on the preamp tubes, and see if you can locate one..like a bad tooth.

Also make sure your outlet is grounded..or try another one.
    Last edited by horns666; 01-06-2012, 01:47 PM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The tone sounds good. But it is definitely not supposed to make that sound.
      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
        The tone sounds good. But it is definitely not supposed to make that sound.
        Gotcha..well try the above first, and see if that reveals any probs. I had an issue like that once, and it was an outlet issue. I have an old house with fuse boxes and shit.

I'm no guru and go into panic mode, if the prob is not preamp tubes. I only had to replace power tubes once, and I didn't know about biasing at the time..but things just kinda work out I guess, because I never had a prob with that amp again (Marshall 2210)
        Last edited by horns666; 01-06-2012, 01:54 PM.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

OH, also if your running anything into the amp..unplug everything and go straint into the amp. Disconnect anything from the effects loop. Hopefully it's something simple. If that doesn't reveal or remedy anything. The amp gurus need to chime in..

I'm a "tone guru", NOT an amp guru..

Good luck man..I hate shit like that!

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of Peavey repair...
            sigpic
            Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              OH, also if your running anything into the amp..unplug everything and go straint into the amp. Disconnect anything from the effects loop. Hopefully it's something simple. If that doesn't reveal or remedy anything. The amp gurus need to chime in..
              +1
              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I unplugged everything from the amp and tried different sockets. Nothing has helped thus far.

Comment

This is going to be a toughy then. Intermittent crap is always a pain in the ass to trouble shoot. Start swapping around an extra 12AX7 if you have one. Honestly, I know the damn thing has 5 preamp tubes in it, but if you have that many extra laying around, Id swap them all out and see what happens. If that solves it, then start swapping the old tubes in one by one in the first gain stage position until you find the bad one(s) and then throw those evil bastards out.

Comment

Try swapping preamp tubes and even power tubes. If that doesn't work you need to take it in for repair. Could need a cap job.

Comment

Same thing happened to my 5150... sell it get something new.

sigpic
                      Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
                        Same thing happened to my 5150... sell it get something new.

Passing on issues to unsuspecting buyers...great way to build a reputation as a seller.

Usually with amps, the problem is something pretty small, it just is a bitch to find out what the problem is exactly
                        Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                          Passing on issues to unsuspecting buyers...great way to build a reputation as a seller.

Usually with amps, the problem is something pretty small, it just is a bitch to find out what the problem is exactly
                          Not if your ad says something to the order of " Peavey 6505, its fucked, selling cheap. Take this piece of shit off my hands. I repeat, its fucked."

I feel for Mr. 78. Its sucks when your main amps takes a poo poo. The other guitarist power supply in his Egnater Tour Master took a shit. Egnater has been way less than helpful in the matter. All I need is a damn schematic and were good to go, but alas, they wont return emails or phone calls.

At least Mr. 78 has this option. Id post what Im looking for on the Egnater, but I dont think anyone here both has the amp and knows how to use a multi-meter.
                          Last edited by Twitch; 01-06-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            I'm a "tone guru", NOT an amp guru..
                            THAT is a brilliant line Bill
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Be careful not to electrocute yourself on residual voltage.
                              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X