Triaxis and 2:90 or Roadking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triaxis and 2:90 or Roadking

I am looking to satisfy my Mesa lust again. I've had Dual/Triple Rec, Roadster, Mark 3 and 5 as well as Nomad and studio's. Of everything that I had, my favorite tone is Rectifier, orange channel/vintage. So given that, I've always wanted a Roadking as it does the Roadster better with combining different tubes as well as speaker outs. I also got a really good chance on getting a Triaxis/290 in a trade. I love the programability of the Triaxis, but heard some not so great reviews on it.

Of what I told you, which one do you think would be better. btw, my main amp is a Marshall JVM410H, so I don't really need any Marshall tones (not that the Mesa's would have any?).

personally, i'd go roadking because of all the tweaking options at the power stage. that is what i love about my rivera, and find that those options really help different preamp options stand-out better.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I would go with the Roadking.

Comment

I'll go opposite everyone else. My vote would be Triaxis/2:90. That is a great sounding combo and you can store lots of programs. Throw a G-Major in there, or whatever your favorite rack processor is and you can do just about everything with it.
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

I have a Road King and its great. Its the best amp I have. I have a Bogner Shiva and a Splawn Quick Rod too. and I think it beats them both in the overall catagory. NOthing against the Triaxis and 2:90 at all..... but I have a Marshall rack setup too, and the portability of the Road King is just so much easier. Hauling a rack around is a total pain if its a sizeable rack. The Road King is capable of SO many tones, its a sonic smorgasboard of options. 4 channels, 3 modes on each channel, then you can select power tubes to each channel, select rectifiers for each channel, FX loop for each channel, bold/spongy variac thing on it too. its just full of tonal options. I am sure you would be happy with either the Triaxis or the RK, so its just what you think would suit you best.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I like both pretty equally. I've owned both and still have my Tri/2:90. Would buy the Road King again though. Why not take my Mark IV short head off my hands for your Mesa fix.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Hey Ivan - I heard that the Mark IV has a volume balance issue between the channels, or was that the Mark III? The V that I had was nice as well as all the recto flavors.

Comment

Does anyone know if you can still buy the Triaxis/2:90 new? If so, what would be the cost?

Comment

Hey Robo - Are you looking to sell your Mark IV? I tried to PM you but your box is full. If you are then shoot me a PM. Thanks!

Comment

I used to have a RoadKing and its a great amp. I dont know about sonic smorgasboard though. Although it does everything from glassy cleans to growling high gain its still very much within a certain envelope. If you like the rectifier tone then its a no brainer.

Personally, I went back to Marshalls as I couldn't get the Roadking to get "out of control". That was my main issue with it. Everything sounds amazing but controlled and buttery smooth. I like more bite and snarl and I guess Marshall is just more my thing.
                    Also the Roadking weighs about the same as a small family car.

I have no experience with the Triaxis at all but have heard nothing but praise for it.
                    All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

It took me some time to find the tones in my RK, but I can certainly get it to bite and snarl. its not 100% marshall, but it gets that bite and snarl you refer to. but everyone's ears are different. what I think is bite and snarl you might think differently. I just know that the sounds dont come easy on the RK, you need to spend the time and search for them in there. flip switches and turn knobs, but the sounds are in there.
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

The cabinet and speaker selection make a huge difference with the Roadking or any Recto for that matter. To my ears, if you want classic Recto then go with Mesa cabs. If you want it to be more "snarly" go with Marshall cabs loaded with V30's.

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
                          Does anyone know if you can still buy the Triaxis/2:90 new? If so, what would be the cost?
                          I haven't checked in a while but AFAIK, the Triaxis was still available new but the 2:90 power amp was discontinued some time back. Plenty of both available used though. The Triaxis preamp is pretty expensive new. Again, its been a while since I checked but they used to be $1200ish new.
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Thanx for the info Rudy.

Comment

I would get the road king as well. It pretty much covers all the tonal territory. for me anyway, when i get something with buttons and user save presets i end up noodling so much i never really play... haha

Comment

Working...
                              X